Advice on rust + install found on 2010 Tahoe underside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocks look like normal rust for an 8 year old truck near salt water.... again, im in the northeast and mine look worse... never been in ‘the water’. Looks all good. Drive it and listen...no talking, radio etc. check all that while sitting still. When you drive it just listen to the truck... hard turns, hard braking , soft turns, hit bumps and just keep your ears open.

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shocks look like normal rust for an 8 year old truck near salt water.... again, im in the northeast and mine look worse... never been in ‘the water’. Looks all good. Drive it and listen...no talking, radio etc. check all that while sitting still. When you drive it just listen to the truck... hard turns, hard braking , soft turns, hit bumps and just keep your ears open.

Will do.

Thank you!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
It's not terrible condition. Pro comp is a good lift just increases track width up front so you need rear wheel spacers to even it up. It reduces some turn radius because of the knuckle lift. The rear shocks can be replaced and I would tear down the front coilovers for a rebuild. Put some fresh powder on the coils and wire brush polish the threads. Paint the frame and powder a bunch of suspension parts then it will be good to hold up for a long time. Got any pics of the entire hoe?

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not terrible condition. Pro comp is a good lift just increases track width up front so you need rear wheel spacers to even it up. It reduces some turn radius because of the knuckle lift. The rear shocks can be replaced and I would tear down the front coilovers for a rebuild. Put some fresh powder on the coils and wire brush polish the threads. Paint the frame and powder a bunch of suspension parts then it will be good to hold up for a long time. Got any pics of the entire hoe?

Thank you! This is great info.

Here's a pic I have of it. All the chrome has got to go!
LJxHvL0.png

I just need to figure out if I just want to swap out the wheels or go with a 33 tire and maybe a 17 wheel.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This is great info.

Here's a pic I have of it. All the chrome has got to go!
LJxHvL0.png

I just need to figure out if I just want to swap out the wheels or go with a 33 tire and maybe a 17 wheel.

Not a bad looking truck I’d say swap out the front bumper for a non Z71 bumper & color match it, ditch the grille guard and switch to some black rims & it would look great imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a bad looking truck I’d say swap out the front bumper for a non Z71 bumper & color match it, ditch the grille guard and switch to some black rims & it would look great imo

We think alike!

The absolute first order of business is new wheels and grill guard. I like grill guards though, so I just want a black one.

I haven't even bought it yet (going Saturday) and I'm already shopping for wheels. O.O

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We think alike!

The absolute first order of business is new wheels and grill guard. I like grill guards though, so I just want a black one.

I haven't even bought it yet (going Saturday) and I'm already shopping for wheels. O.O

Are you dead set on 17” rims? Cause there’s someone on a some GM truck page on FB that has a lifted Tahoe with the current generation Escalade rims in black wrapped in some A/T tires that look pretty good on there, forget how big the lift was

OP
OP
K

kalig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you dead set on 17” rims? Cause there’s someone on a some GM truck page on FB that has a lifted Tahoe with the current generation Escalade rims in black wrapped in some A/T tires that look pretty good on there, forget how big the lift was

I'm not dead set on anything yet.

My thoughts (and based on opinions of some friends who do some off road playtimes) is that I need a bit more tire. The lift is 6". I've gotta do some testing when I get there to see if there's any rubbing.

I want it to look good (black or charcoal wheels are a must) but also want it to be pretty usable for any off-road fun. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy in it so no climbing rock walls or racing. Just want to have a fully capable rig.

The truck isn't cheap so keeping the tires and just swapping wheels is a big draw. It currently has 35x12.50R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers that seem to have near full tread life left.

My initial thought was to keep the tires and get new wheels but I've been advised against that.

Thoughts?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the truck, I’d say take it off-road nothing really crazy so you don’t damage the rims so you can see how the tires perform I’ve heard good things about Nitto’s and if you like them find a rim you like and swap them over and sell the current rims might even end up on the plus side money wise with that

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I would sell wheels and tires for 20x12/33 or 22x12/33. Ditch bull bar, remove window vents, steps, and door moldings. I think the silver bumper center could pull off with some black machined wheels. Could swap chrome grille for a black one. Get 1.25" wheel spacers to even track width. Then retrofit the headlights and get xb led fogs. It will definitely pull the look off then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos

Latest posts