Adding reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
Flush mount Rigid Ignite’s. Simply drill a 1.75” hole and they slide right in. Even come with that little template, which I used to ensure correct placement on each side of the opening.

IMG_2691.jpeg

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are a great plug and play option:

Yes, they are pretty much universal.

The pickups have the same plugs but slightly different wiring. At one point I tried a harness for adding a led light bar to the back which would do running lights, brake, blinker and reverse lights and the lead which would be for reverse was a blinker.

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 417755That is the case with ours: only the 12v circuit is live when a trailer isn’t connected. Back to the drawing board on where to tap a reverse lead.

It took me 2.5 hours to mount these Rigid’s. They look awesome.
You should be able to add in a relay for them. Tap the back up reverse wire in the taillight harness to act as the switch and use power from the 12volt hot lead in the trailer harness.

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
You should be able to add in a relay for them. Tap the back up reverse wire in the taillight harness to act as the switch and use power from the 12volt hot lead in the trailer harness.
These only draw 12 watts each (.85 amps, or 1.7 amps total - 22 gauge wire could handle these). I doubt I’ll even bother with a relay, but I’ll check it out. I also have some 18/2 that I pulled through the frame when I was adding my 12v outlets to the back end, so if I can find a reverse-activated fuse to tap under the hood, I may go that route. I looked at the fuse box in the rear end drivers side, and none of the circuits appear to be for the trailer hitch wiring.

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
It appears that fuse 55 in the under-hood fuse box is for the reverse lights in the trailer wiring. I will test this with my circuit tester later.IMG_1704.jpeg

Last edited:

AliBaba

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a plug-n-play option?

I’m looking at maybe doing a USCAR t-connector with a 5-way. This would allow me to connect the reverse lights to the trailer plug without splicing anything and keeping it all clean. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...g-solutions-trailer-wire-connector/hop1/41153

My thought for those that have not had success using the trailer plug, is if you don’t grab the ground from the trailer plug as well the vehicle might not be happy with a voltage draw.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a plug-n-play option?

I’m looking at maybe doing a USCAR t-connector with a 5-way. This would allow me to connect the reverse lights to the trailer plug without splicing anything and keeping it all clean. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...g-solutions-trailer-wire-connector/hop1/41153

My thought for those that have not had success using the trailer plug, is if you don’t grab the ground from the trailer plug as well the vehicle might not be happy with a voltage draw.
We it was a good effort but no luck. The Yukon wouldn’t even recognize the backup light unless it had draw from the running light.

The part I used was Hopkins 41153.

Going to try some other avenues as I really hate T-connectors and messing with factory wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 7

AliBaba

Reaction score
More to come...... Spoke to someone who is making a plug-n-play harness for the tail lights that will give you a ground and reverse wire. This will bypass the computerized trailer connector and as long as it's a small load or using a relay you can go the route of not modifying the factory wiring.

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
It appears that fuse 55 in the under-hood fuse box is for the reverse lights in the trailer wiring. I will test this with my circuit tester later.View attachment 417774
Update: this fuse did not work. Clearly the vehicle needs something else hooked to the trailer wiring to think it’s got a trailer attached. Do you guys think that’s the ground wire? I will try that, the theory being if we ground the harness all of the other circuits will work.

Edit: but then would the Yukon think there’s a trailer hooked up at all times, and would that mess up the screen (which defaults to trailer screens when the trailer is hooked up)

Last edited:

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
More to come...... Spoke to someone who is making a plug-n-play harness for the tail lights that will give you a ground and reverse wire. This will bypass the computerized trailer connector and as long as it's a small load or using a relay you can go the route of not modifying the factory wiring.
Okay, @AliBaba I am 100% interested in buying one of these harnesses for a 2023. Any idea on timing? I’m glad there’s someone else that’s hell bent on making this work too, thanks.

Btw, I have no issues tapping a reverse wire behind the light enclosure. It’s my laziness at finding how to take that thing apart, etc. Which I guess I’ll have to do regardless with a plug and play harness.

My reality is that these light have been in for 2 months and they aren’t wired. And boating season starts soon!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz