Adding bulb to factory headlight housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlj1267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently ordered some 6000K LED High and Low Bulbs for my 2001 Burb. I’ve also recently done the 4HI mod and DRL delete mod (rebuilding the innards of the DRL socket and wire to turn-socket). But I’ve been thinking. When I turn on the high beams and the low beams stay on, and the complete running light housing is lit up amber, every single part of the front end of the truck is lit, except for this small unused portion in the corner of the headlight housing (I’ve attached an image below of the portion I’m talking about (not my truck)). What do you guys think about adding another 6000K white LED making the full housing light up? I personally am a fan of the large running/turn housings on Chevy’s. I’ve kept amber Sylvania bulbs in my turns/park lights on all my trucks, and kept the lenses crystal clear. So would adding an amber sort of cornering/running light look good and compliment the 6000K heads? I’m almost positive the white will look good, not sure of the amber. I may just get some junk housings from a local U-Pullit and give it a shot. I will add pics tomorrow of what the truck looks like with the 6000K’s, 4HI mod, and DRL delete mod. Also, I’ll start a thread soon on the DRL mod and if I go through with the “3RD Bulb Mod”. I will start a thread on the entirety of mods I’ve done and plan to do on my 8.1L Burb. I’m open to all opinions and comments, feel free to shoot me any ideas or opinions. Thanks.

BB5E3A11-B97C-444E-B6E9-30596BD44757.jpeg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered some 6000K LED High and Low Bulbs for my 2001 Burb. I’ve also recently done the 4HI mod and DRL delete mod (rebuilding the innards of the DRL socket and wire to turn-socket). But I’ve been thinking. When I turn on the high beams and the low beams stay on, and the complete running light housing is lit up amber, every single part of the front end of the truck is lit, except for this small unused portion in the corner of the headlight housing (I’ve attached an image below of the portion I’m talking about (not my truck)). What do you guys think about adding another 6000K white LED making the full housing light up? I personally am a fan of the large running/turn housings on Chevy’s. I’ve kept amber Sylvania bulbs in my turns/park lights on all my trucks, and kept the lenses crystal clear. So would adding an amber sort of cornering/running light look good and compliment the 6000K heads? I’m almost positive the white will look good, not sure of the amber. I may just get some junk housings from a local U-Pullit and give it a shot. I will add pics tomorrow of what the truck looks like with the 6000K’s, 4HI mod, and DRL delete mod. Also, I’ll start a thread soon on the DRL mod and if I go through with the “3RD Bulb Mod”. I will start a thread on the entirety of mods I’ve done and plan to do on my 8.1L Burb. I’m open to all opinions and comments, feel free to shoot me any ideas or opinions. Thanks.

View attachment 235068
you only going to be limited to a yellow light(or yellow flashing)or a solid white light when the signal is on (like the crown vic and DeVille)

or you risk a "fix it ticket"

OP
OP
jlj1267

jlj1267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you only going to be limited to a yellow light(or yellow flashing)or a solid white light when the signal is on (like the crown vic and DeVille)

or you risk a "fix it ticket"
I plan to use just a white LED to come on with the lows just to make the whole housing fully illuminated. The reflector and lens on this portion won’t reflect, or project light like the low/hi portions. More of a running light than a 3RD headlight bulb. (I do realize that the 4HI mod is illegal in some states (if not all))

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the HI+low mod is fine most do allow 4 at a time

now 6 maybe not but the law is dated since most newer cars have many many at a time
i.e spider lights
6-8 of them each LED reflector = 1 light

OP
OP
jlj1267

jlj1267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the HI+low mod is fine most do allow 4 at a time

now 6 maybe not but the law is dated since most newer cars have many many at a time
i.e spider lights
6-8 of them each LED reflector = 1 light
Makes sense, crazy how many bulbs these newer cars have. Working at a parts store I have a hell of a time getting the right bulbs for people sometime. They tell me headlight (because it’s inside the headlight housing), but it turns out to be a turn signal that’s an integrated LED strip that can’t be replaced.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I swear I’ve seen someone do this mod before . Or maybe it was a obs. Should look good tho.

OP
OP
jlj1267

jlj1267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swear I’ve seen someone do this mod before . Or maybe it was a obs. Should look good tho.
I’ve seen people delete the corner lights on OBS’s and it turns out good. But I’ve looked everywhere for someone who’s done it and came up with nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2