Adding an oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
So I went out of my way and hooked our dump trailer up to the Esky for a run to the dump to record some oil temps.

The trailer was a 5 ft wide 18 ft long 4 ft tall sided dump trailer that weighed in at about 2700lbs empty, but had a total height of 6'4"' approx 8" taller than my Esky. Loaded with trash for the dump it only weighed in at 6000 lbs, which is close to the weight of my boat with fuel and other supplies. The engine oil temps were hovering around 230* when I got to the dump, which was after approx 15 mins of city driving in the lack of traffic corona virus driving, while the tranny temp was just under 200*.

On the drive home from the dump, about 10 mins on the fwy, the engine oil managed to drop to around 206 while the tranny temp stayed the same.

These oil temps aren't bad for 20 mins of city driving with a load but I'd hate to see what it's like running uphill without oil cooling on the same load.

Stay tuned for engine, oil and transmission fluid cooler updates

cycho

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread. Interesting in that I have been having the same experience with high temps and it's got me totally freaked out. Going up to our home in the mountains pulling a 20 foot enclosed trailer with one motorcycle my transmission fluid reached 235° on several occasions. Coolant temp reached 230 less often but it did get up there climbing hills. You all think that's ok? BTW I don't have an external trans cooler. But I just bought on. Also have the 5/7 blade radiator fan set.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread. Interesting in that I have been having the same experience with high temps and it's got me totally freaked out. Going up to our home in the mountains pulling a 20 foot enclosed trailer with one motorcycle my transmission fluid reached 235° on several occasions. Coolant temp reached 230 less often but it did get up there climbing hills. You all think that's ok? BTW I don't have an external trans cooler. But I just bought on. Also have the 5/7 blade radiator fan set.

Your trans can take those temps, the warnings don't come on until north of 260. However, that means the fluid wears out sooner and needs changing much sooner than the recommendations for even severe service.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score

Are you sure about not having an external trans cooler? It would be in the very front before the ac condenser

How hard are you pushing the vehicle when headed uphill, if you back off the speed do the temps drop?

cycho

Reaction score
Are you sure about not having an external trans cooler? It would be in the very front before the ac condenser

How hard are you pushing the vehicle when headed uphill, if you back off the speed do the temps drop?
I am sure that there is no external trans cooler. Also nothing going to the driver side of the radiator so no oil cooling either.

No the temps don't drop if I back off to 45MPH. The coolant temp rises as well. This is going up two 6 degree hills and one 7 degree hill.
I left the trailer at my other place, so drove home with out it. Trans temp was a 203° in town without a trailer, ambient temp was 100° (Phoenix AZ).

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-137...452438&hash=item212905292f:g:6GsAAOSwHLNZSwDF

I just bought this one, It will be a pita to plumb "correctly" but the end result will be as efficient as it can get. Im mounting behind the front facia below the bumper. Ill open up the fake lower grill for some ram air effect at highway speeds. My experience climbing with our 4,400lb TT is that most climbing is done at 40 mph or less so the remote fan will be well suited for my needs. In addition to removing the cooler from in front of the radiator and having a positive effect on the radiator cooling. i just replaced the radiator/waterpump/cooling fan motors 700/700 on the 5/7 blade setup. Gas is cheap and i want to take the family on a national monument 11 west road trip this summer with the trailer, hoping this will produce a good memory without any tow trucks involved! I know without pic's ths is all BS, So ill make the pictures happen!

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
I am sure that there is no external trans cooler. Also nothing going to the driver side of the radiator so no oil cooling either.

No the temps don't drop if I back off to 45MPH. The coolant temp rises as well. This is going up two 6 degree hills and one 7 degree hill.
I left the trailer at my other place, so drove home with out it. Trans temp was a 203° in town without a trailer, ambient temp was 100° (Phoenix AZ).

How many miles on the vehicle, ever change the water pump, flush the coolant, u sure both fans are kicking on when the temps are up?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ah ha! I've been looking for rear world stories of engine temperature when towing. We were pulling a fully loaded 20' camping trailer up the Coquihalla and I was getting freaked out when the engine temps started to rise about 212F! I guess I could have let it rise more, but if you have ever driven the Coq, you know there is NO place to pull over if you overheat. Plus, passing motorists are wizzing by at 80 mph. There is no way I want to even come close to breaking down on that highway.

On a side note, I will never use that highway again. I'll take a longer route around. Accidents happen often on that stretch, and they're not pretty.

cycho

Reaction score
80,000, no, no, no
The plan is to install a Tru-cool trans cooler and dorman 620-654 7/9 cooling fan assembly.
This will include trans fluid and coolant change.

BTW when I started the Tahoe to drive home a 1:00am this morning the trans temp was already at 106°. The vehicle had been setting in covered parking since 3:30pm. It's hot here in Phoenix. I will drive it tomorrow and check to see that the fans are working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts