Adding an oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Just curious, do you let your truck idle to get up to operating temperature before driving?

The reason I ask is because I faithfully remote start the Burb, usually twice (so 20 mins run time) and let it get up to temperature before driving it and my oil temps run about 210°- 212° and that is with the 2 oversized filters and an aftermarket air to oil cooler and about a 9 quart capacity after all those additions including the lines to connect it all.

I just figured your temps would be higher without an oil cooler and running 3 less quarts than me.

I use the remote start in the morning and it runs for about 3-5 mins before I drive away, but I live in So. Cal. So it rarely drops below 50* here.

Which oil cooler are you using?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I use the remote start in the morning and it runs for about 3-5 mins before I drive away, but I live in So. Cal. So it rarely drops below 50* here.

Which oil cooler are you using?

It is a cheap Ebay (Chicom) oil cooler like this one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142489925279

rps20200331_191236_961.jpg

I believe that is where the higher lead content came from in my UOA report. I believe the lead solder from where they brazed it was leaching out in the oil. I say that because it seemed to spike and then dissipate after a while.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
So here's the numbers on my trip up the mountain today without an oil cooler.

After approx 90 mins on the fwy at about 75-80 mph the engine oil temp was around 230*, we stopped to grab some food and in the 5-7 min wait time to get around the drive thru the temp dropped to 203*, with the ambient temp being 70*.

Climbing the hill wasnt as daunting with the caddy as it was with my anemic Ford 4.0 v6, using the manual mode the climb was much more enjoyable because I could put the truck into a lower gear than it wanted to be in and not lug the engine the whole way up. I'm also happy to report that the oil temp numbers were lower than I thought they would of been at 240* throughout the climb up the hill.

Regardless of the numbers I'm still going to install a mishimoto rad with the oe engine oil lines to help keep things cooler when dragging an extra 6k lbs behind me.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So here's the numbers on my trip up the mountain today without an oil cooler.

After approx 90 mins on the fwy at about 75-80 mph the engine oil temp was around 230*, we stopped to grab some food and in the 5-7 min wait time to get around the drive thru the temp dropped to 203*, with the ambient temp being 70*.

Climbing the hill wasnt as daunting with the caddy as it was with my anemic Ford 4.0 v6, using the manual mode the climb was much more enjoyable because I could put the truck into a lower gear than it wanted to be in and not lug the engine the whole way up. I'm also happy to report that the oil temp numbers were lower than I thought they would of been at 240* throughout the climb up the hill.

Regardless of the numbers I'm still going to install a mishimoto rad with the oe engine oil lines to help keep things cooler when dragging an extra 6k lbs behind me.

Thanks for reporting back. Your temps aren't that bad. You obviously don't want them too low either because then the water vapor, in the oil, won't get hot enough to boil off.

Water boils at sea level at about 212° F... so my oil temperature runs just about perfect IMO.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back. Your temps aren't that bad. You obviously don't want them too low either because then the water vapor, in the oil, won't get hot enough to boil off.

Water boils at sea level at about 212° F... so my oil temperature runs just about perfect IMO.

Don't forget that water evaporates at lesser temperatures. Even if the oil doesn't get to 212, water will still evaporate, the cooler the oil, the longer it will take. Someone with a 5 minute commute will likely accumulate water in their oil compared to someone with a 30 minute drive.

Keep us posted, like Ken, I'm enjoying the tech and information.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my Mishimoto radiator today.. It's really a beautiful piece !
I'm installing it due to adding a supercharger and going to be towing max load
My 6.2 has the oil cooler option, external trans cooler, and pwer steering cooler.
I'm using it hoping to keep trans and oil temps in check while towing

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my Mishimoto radiator today.. It's really a beautiful piece !
I'm installing it due to adding a supercharger and going to be towing max load
My 6.2 has the oil cooler option, external trans cooler, and pwer steering cooler.
I'm using it hoping to keep trans and oil temps in check while towing

Pics Tom!

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Don't have any new oil temps to update, they've been pretty consistent, but I did notice my tranny temp was up to 175 after my drive home from work in mid 70's weather, which kind of surprised me.

My Mishimoto radiator and a bunch of other cooling parts arrived so il probably be starting a new thread about the installs of it all, if I can slow myself down to take pics. I was hoping to get some oil temps while towing before installing the cooler, but times running out and have bigger things on my plate, but I'll try.