Adding an oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrainDead

Reaction score
is there any write ups on this? I tried searching but nothing came up.

Car is an 07 Esky with a 6.2

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Do you want a factory installation or to run an external cooler?

Lines=Which ever is easier, but an aftermarket cooler for sure.

Might get one with an electric fan that turns on at a set temp, but that's one more thing to break, and if I bury it behind the bumper it won't get much airflow if it does break

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lines=Which ever is easier, but an aftermarket cooler for sure.

Might get one with an electric fan that turns on at a set temp, but that's one more thing to break, and if I bury it behind the bumper it won't get much airflow if it does break

Well, the factory lines are this: 20828695 and you could cut off the ends and have them customized to suit whatever cooler you use. The engine oil cooler hoses are 1/2" whereas the transmission lines are 3/8". I was going to suggest the factory transmission cooler until I realized the size difference in the lines. Might just be easier to add the correct radiator (21742) to go with those lines! I see some cooler systems for the Duramax trucks but not for our oil pans. Further research required.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Why do you think you need an oil cooler? The 6.2 has a OEM one that will take care of most needs.

To help keep things as cool as possible when under heavy loads for long durations of time. I tow about 6000lbs up mountain passes and would like to keep the engine and fluids as cool as possible during these times to help preserve the engine. A couple hundred bucks in radiators could save me from buying a 4-6k engine.

I'm aware that the engine has ports for an oil cooler, but there not being used and that kind of bothers me, why put something there to cool the engine and not use it.

As far as your last sentence, are u talking one that's installed or can be purchased? Once again it makes me wonder why gm would have the hookups for an oil cooler and a factory cooler that u can purchase and not install it.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Can't check right now because I'm laid up with back issues, but as soon as I can I will report back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17