Adding an aftermarket radio to 07-14 FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a love/hate thing. My phone was paired with the Tahoe's OnStar for phone calls since I bought it. The truck pairs up before the new radio so when the radio activates the phone it goes to that. Simple fix was to unpair the truck. Love that it was an easy fix, hate that I made that stupid mistake.

Next up is to look at the backup camera issue. See what I can figure out about powering it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next up is to look at the backup camera issue. See what I can figure out about powering it.

If the new HU doesn't have a power circuit for the camera when you press the camera button, then it sounds like it needs the camera on at all times and it just switches the input as requested. If you're using the factory camera, it's only gonna be on when you're in reverse gear, which is also when the HU switches to camera mode. Since your HU is already connected to the camera's signal circuit, couldn't you just find a switched power source for the camera to keep it on at all times? Or, replace it with an aftermarket one. There are plenty that mount in the factory cam's spot. BTW, I think I read that the factory camera is 5VDC and has a transformer somewhere odd, like under the passenger seat. Or maybe I'm mixing this up from something else as well. Old age is a mofo.

Last edited:

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I hadn't considered that the camera could run on less than 12v.. I was thinking about using the power and switch for the rear wiper which I partially removed (with my garage door). I'll have to check.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, got things going. Found a wire description for the six wires into the camera. Jumped thr pink switched full time pink to the dark blue reverse trigger and it works as long as the camera doesn't fry with full time triggering.

I did cut some plastic out of the radio housing to gain depth. The radio looks like it belongs. I really want to make a much nicer harness though.

Before:
20230116_215112.jpg

After
20230118_120109.jpg

And the readywire harness from Crutchfield.
20230118_120427.jpg

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I cut my dash just like that, then I wanted more room and cut out the rest. I also have my camera powered full time for last year + with no issues.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing the Pioneer AVIC-W8600NEX in my Tahoe. The radio came with a GPS antenna but my Tahoe has navigation and thus has one in a perfect location with the wire running to the stock radio. The connector won't fit the Pioneer. Does anyone know if it's compatible?

I retained GPS with my Alpine X208u in my 2011 escalade. I just used the maestro and GM5+

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retained GPS with my Alpine X208u in my 2011 escalade. I just used the maestro and GM5+
Moot point now. Threaded their GPS over and up the right side A pillar, across the front edge of the headliner and hung it next to my mirror. I was going there anyway for the mic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh