Adding an aftermarket radio to 07-14 FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well damn, I thought Bluetooth plus CarPlay meant wireless carplay. Having to plug the phone in defeats the whole purpose. It’s nice to at least have Bluetooth now but for nearly $400 between the head unit and harnesses, etc, it’s not worth it. I’ll be sending it all back.
CarPlay is still worth it, even if you have to plug it in. I’d try it before you send it back.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarPlay is still worth it, even if you have to plug it in. I’d try it before you send it back.

Does anyone know if that mini USB is what feeds to the usb plug in the center console? If that’s the case I’d need to buy an adapter and somehow get that to fit behind the head unit.

I’d also basically need to leave the phone shut in the center console while I’m driving. Assuming it’s hooked up to Carplay is there anything I’d really need my phone for that I can’t just do right through the head unit?

And as crazy as it sounds, if CarPlay isn’t absolutely awesome then the door chimes might be a legitimate dealbreaker. It’s that loud. Do the door chimes come from the head unit or is it the Metra Axxess unit? The turn signal clicks seem to come directly from that little Axxess box that you can see in the center of this pic:
eCqeCNu_d.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if that mini USB is what feeds to the usb plug in the center console? If that’s the case I’d need to buy an adapter and somehow get that to fit behind the head unit.

I’d also basically need to leave the phone shut in the center console while I’m driving. Assuming it’s hooked up to Carplay is there anything I’d really need my phone for that I can’t just do right through the head unit?

And as crazy as it sounds, if CarPlay isn’t absolutely awesome then the door chimes might be a legitimate dealbreaker. It’s that loud. Do the door chimes come from the head unit or is it the Metra Axxess unit? The turn signal clicks seem to come directly from that little Axxess box that you can see in the center of this pic:
eCqeCNu_d.jpg
From what I can find, the chime volume is adjustable on the Axxess module. Maybe take s look at the instructions. Here’s from their website but I don’t know what model you have:

ADJUSTING THE AX-GMCL2-SWC
EXTRA FEATURES
Audio level adjustment (digital amplified models only):
• With the vehicle and radio turned on, turn the volume up 3/4 of the way.
• With a small flat-blade screwdriver, adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level; counterclockwise to lower the audio level.
• Once at a desired level, audio level adjustment is complete.
Chime level adjustment (digital amplified models only):
• With the vehicle on, turn it off and leave the keys in ignition. Open the driver’s door; chimes will be heard.
• Wait 10 seconds, and then with a small screwdriver, turn the potentiometer clockwise to raise the chime level; counterclockwise to lower the chime level.
• When the chime is at a desired level, remove the keys from the ignition. This will lock the chime volume at its current level.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I use one of the magnetic mounts that you just clip in the vent and there’s a metal pad that goes on the back of the phone. You can get away without using the phone though. The stereo has pretty much all the controls you need unless your music fails to start or something.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can find, the chime volume is adjustable on the Axxess module. Maybe take s look at the instructions. Here’s from their website but I don’t know what model you have:

ADJUSTING THE AX-GMCL2-SWC
EXTRA FEATURES
Audio level adjustment (digital amplified models only):
• With the vehicle and radio turned on, turn the volume up 3/4 of the way.
• With a small flat-blade screwdriver, adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level; counterclockwise to lower the audio level.
• Once at a desired level, audio level adjustment is complete.
Chime level adjustment (digital amplified models only):
• With the vehicle on, turn it off and leave the keys in ignition. Open the driver’s door; chimes will be heard.
• Wait 10 seconds, and then with a small screwdriver, turn the potentiometer clockwise to raise the chime level; counterclockwise to lower the chime level.
• When the chime is at a desired level, remove the keys from the ignition. This will lock the chime volume at its current level.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

I opened it up earlier and the cables for the mic and backup camera had fallen out which explains why they weren’t working.

I’m going to remove the parking brake bypass and pick up a USB adapter to see if I can tie into the USB plug in the center console sometime this week. I plugged a usb cable into the back to see how I like CarPlay and it seems pretty awesome so far.

Assuming I can plug into the built in USB and the backup camera works properly I’ll keep it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that worked perfectly.

I opened it up earlier and the cables for the mic and backup camera had fallen out which explains why they weren’t working.

I’m going to remove the parking brake bypass and pick up a USB adapter to see if I can tie into the USB plug in the center console sometime this week. I plugged a usb cable into the back to see how I like CarPlay and it seems pretty awesome so far.

Assuming I can plug into the built in USB and the backup camera works properly I’ll keep it.
You can always change out the usb cable if the oem one doesn’t work. I added a dual usb outlet in one of my cigarette lighter/ power outlet locations, they make ones that just replace those outlets and come with usb cables that plug into the back of the stereo. Super easy to install. That way you just use a short lightning cable to plug into the phone.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I installed my pioneer I just bought a short usb adapter for the oem harness everything works fine, just be sure to plug it into the correct usb port on the rear of the radio one is for apple the other for android

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: somehow I reset the door chimes to that loud ear piercing default level and despite following the exact same directions I can’t get the volume to lower now.

******** it.

I’ve also noticed that shifting into reverse doesn’t display the backup camera. Shifting out of reverse into park displays it...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: somehow I reset the door chimes to that loud ear piercing default level and despite following the exact same directions I can’t get the volume to lower now.

******** it.

I’ve also noticed that shifting into reverse doesn’t display the backup camera. Shifting out of reverse into park displays it...
Easy solution for the chimes if you cant get it to turn down ~duck tape~ then you can make your own volume level

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

******** it.

You’ll figure out the chimes. As for the cameras, I have an idea. Go look at the manual for the Pioneer. That’s what I did when I couldn’t figure something out. The answer is there. It’s time for you to figure things out on your own instead of just going on the forum and asking others like me to tell you what to do. Quit being lazy. And you’re welcome for the time I’ve already spent helping you, which has not even been acknowledged with as much as a thank you. The stuff you’ve been asking has all been available in the manuals. Go find it on your own. Or tear it all out and send it back,IDC. :mad:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV