Adding an aftermarket radio to 07-14 FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamajake95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go to maestro.idatalink.com and click acc. But the backup camera should be retained through the flash on the rr module.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tun75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go to maestro.idatalink.com and click acc. But the backup camera should be retained through the flash on the rr module.

I have been to there site and have all the guides. This is the vehicle connector I can not locate

idatalink.jpg

Bamajake95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which harness did you end up with? It should have been the hrn-rr-gm2

tun75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the hrn-rr-gm5+ ( no nav) I also have the hrn-av-gm5

Bamajake95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I should have a gm5 at work let me look at it when I get there.

tun75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, Appreciate it. So I am not confusing you I have attached a pic of what I have. The 2 black connectors are going to the factory harness that were plugged into the original radio. there is the gray connector that has 1 black wire going to the Pioneer and 6 RCA plugs (labeled from rear AV input, the other says to overhead screen) there is also a brown connectorIMG_5869.jpg with 3 RCA's (Center out, Sub out and Backup camera in) I am assuming I only need the gray or brown. I cannot locate a factory harness for these to plug into.
I assume the iDatalink will control everything except Video feed.

tun75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured out the AVG5 is just for rear video (which I do not have, just rear audio) now I just have to find where to tap the video feed to put the video for the camera to the Pioneer. it says pin 6&7 blue and white, I do not see those coming down the drivers A pillar.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed my new Pioneer head unit today and it was a pain in the ass and honestly I’m not very happy with it so far.

3Nkq04L_d.jpg

Issues I’ve noticed:
-the door chime is VERY loud now. Irritatingly loud.
-my backup camera seemed to work at first but after I had the unit installed in the dash it no longer worked
-Apple CarPlay won’t connect
-DVDs won’t play on the head unit screen even when in park (I can’t press okay to acknowledge the Tahoe is in park)
-apparently there’s really no way to use the existing Onstar mic

I installed the Pioneer AVH 1300NEX utilizing the Metra dash kit and GMLAN29 harness along with a parking brake bypass because I figured “why not?” First off, it was damn near impossible to fit the harness and all the wiring behind the head unit.

eCqeCNu_d.jpg

I also didn’t have anywhere to attach these two cables on the new head unit:
WarpGNY_d.jpg

I’m assuming the mini usb leads to the USB input in the center console. I could probably attach it to the head unit with something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monopric...MInIbPtObO4gIVBYrICh0a3wxcEAQYByABEgIuqfD_BwE

I’m not sure what the blue adapter is though. Satellite radio? GPS? It doesn’t seem to attach anywhere on the pioneer head unit.

I had to jam all these cables in the opening in the back in order to get the head unit all the way in.
P1J71ub_d.jpg
I think I may have knocked out the video-in cable trying to squeeze the unit in because the backup camera didn’t work when I tried it again.

I ran the provided mic through the lower dash and have the mic coming out right next to the bottom of the steering wheel. It’s not ideal but it’s mostly out of the way.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the dvd I tried to play. It won’t even let me press the ok button when it displays a message to remind me to put the Tahoe in park. I’ll probably remove the parking brake bypass and see if that’s the issue.

The door chime is incredibly loud. I don’t know if there’s any way to change the volume. If not the door chime alone might be a dealbreaker, which sounds crazy.

The biggest issue though is that I can’t get Apple CarPlay to work. That was the whole reason I got the unit. I’ve followed all the directions I could find and even though my phone connects to Bluetooth the CarPlay won’t connect. I could try connecting my phone to the USB input to see if that makes CarPlay work, but physically plugging it in defeats the entire purpose.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I installed my new Pioneer head unit today and it was a pain in the ass and honestly I’m not very happy with it so far.

3Nkq04L_d.jpg

Issues I’ve noticed:
-the door chime is VERY loud now. Irritatingly loud.
-my backup camera seemed to work at first but after I had the unit installed in the dash it no longer worked
-Apple CarPlay won’t connect
-DVDs won’t play on the head unit screen even when in park (I can’t press okay to acknowledge the Tahoe is in park)
-apparently there’s really no way to use the existing Onstar mic

I installed the Pioneer AVH 1300NEX utilizing the Metra dash kit and GMLAN29 harness along with a parking brake bypass because I figured “why not?” First off, it was damn near impossible to fit the harness and all the wiring behind the head unit.

eCqeCNu_d.jpg

I also didn’t have anywhere to attach these two cables on the new head unit:
WarpGNY_d.jpg

I’m assuming the mini usb leads to the USB input in the center console. I could probably attach it to the head unit with something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monopric...MInIbPtObO4gIVBYrICh0a3wxcEAQYByABEgIuqfD_BwE

I’m not sure what the blue adapter is though. Satellite radio? GPS? It doesn’t seem to attach anywhere on the pioneer head unit.

I had to jam all these cables in the opening in the back in order to get the head unit all the way in.
J
I think I may have knocked out the video-in cable trying to squeeze the unit in because the backup camera didn’t work when I tried it again.

I ran the provided mic through the lower dash and have the mic coming out right next to the bottom of the steering wheel. It’s not ideal but it’s mostly out of the way.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the dvd I tried to play. It won’t even let me press the ok button when it displays a message to remind me to put the Tahoe in park. I’ll probably remove the parking brake bypass and see if that’s the issue.

The door chime is incredibly loud. I don’t know if there’s any way to change the volume. If not the door chime alone might be a dealbreaker, which sounds crazy.

The biggest issue though is that I can’t get Apple CarPlay to work. That was the whole reason I got the unit. I’ve followed all the directions I could find and even though my phone connects to Bluetooth the CarPlay won’t connect. I could try connecting my phone to the USB input to see if that makes CarPlay work, but physically plugging it in defeats the entire purpose.
The chime volume should be controllable through settings. I know the Maestro module has a control but I don’t think you have that? Look in the manual for the Pioneer. As far as CarPlay, it has to be plugged in unless you have one of the very latest, few and far between, models that have wireless CarPlay. I just bought a Pioneer with it, AVH-W4400NEX which was the least expensive with the wireless feature @$500. Even new cars don’t have wireless CarPlay except a few BMW’s and such.

Edit: I have had to cut some of the plastic from behind stereos in order to make room for all the wiring if I can’t stuff it in the cubby holes.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chime volume should be controllable through settings. I know the Maestro module has a control but I don’t think you have that? Look in the manual for the Pioneer. As far as CarPlay, it has to be plugged in unless you have one of the very latest, few and far between, models that have wireless CarPlay. I just bought a Pioneer with it, AVH-W4400NEX which was the least expensive with the wireless feature @$500. Even new cars don’t have wireless CarPlay except a few BMW’s and such.

Edit: I have had to cut some of the plastic from behind stereos in order to make room for all the wiring if I can’t stuff it in the cubby holes.

Well damn, I thought Bluetooth plus CarPlay meant wireless carplay. Having to plug the phone in defeats the whole purpose. It’s nice to at least have Bluetooth now but for nearly $400 between the head unit and harnesses, etc, it’s not worth it. I’ll be sending it all back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17