Add Failed Rocker Arm to the list...2022 Tahoe 6.2L under 6k miles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rennsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM is not the GM of years past once they went to the Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) system. I have owned 6 GM vehicles (4 of them Tahoe/Suburban), so safe to say, I am a loyal repeat customer. Not anymore! I was left stranded on the first day of a family trip, after a nerve racking experience of trying to safely get off the highway as the engine was shaking and even slightly engine braking (along with all kinds of computer notices/warnings). It behaved just like all the failed lifter descriptions. I will spare everyone the drama that ensued with GM roadside/rental cars/etc...let's just say, GM does not know how to help you on weekends (which is likely when you doing the most driving for trips...come on GM, when you know you have new cars braking down, be able to help people after 11am-Noon on Saturdays with rental cars, etc!). Anyway, the dealer thought it was lifter failure and then figured out it was a broken/failed Rocker Arm! I have not seen this posted before as an issue and the dealer said they have not seen a Broken Rocker Arm in 15 years (but they see lots of failed lifters). So, what does this mean? Do we have a another new issue? Could it be related to the DFM too? This is starting to sound like the Boeing ordeal when they tried to make the 737 more fuel efficient! Come on GM, get it together! Your brand is at stake. Own up to your issues/problems, do the recall on the lifters, redesign the engine to either handle the DFM (or disable it at least!)! I am going to sell my 2022 Tahoe 6.2L Z71 and get a reliable SUV...this will be my 6th and final GM product. Which is a real bummer as I love EVERYTHING about the new redesign, but need safety/reliability and company that cares when you get stranded, first!

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. My 21 Tahoe is waiting for diagnosis on why one of the cylinders isn’t fireing. I suspect a bad lifter as on my case the engine falls within their known bad lifter dates.

Sorry for your experience. I got lucky that it didn’t happen when on a trip…I do feel your frustration though.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM is not the GM of years past once they went to the Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) system. I have owned 6 GM vehicles (4 of them Tahoe/Suburban), so safe to say, I am a loyal repeat customer. Not anymore! I was left stranded on the first day of a family trip, after a nerve racking experience of trying to safely get off the highway as the engine was shaking and even slightly engine braking (along with all kinds of computer notices/warnings). It behaved just like all the failed lifter descriptions. I will spare everyone the drama that ensued with GM roadside/rental cars/etc...let's just say, GM does not know how to help you on weekends (which is likely when you doing the most driving for trips...come on GM, when you know you have new cars braking down, be able to help people after 11am-Noon on Saturdays with rental cars, etc!). Anyway, the dealer thought it was lifter failure and then figured out it was a broken/failed Rocker Arm! I have not seen this posted before as an issue and the dealer said they have not seen a Broken Rocker Arm in 15 years (but they see lots of failed lifters). So, what does this mean? Do we have a another new issue? Could it be related to the DFM too? This is starting to sound like the Boeing ordeal when they tried to make the 737 more fuel efficient! Come on GM, get it together! Your brand is at stake. Own up to your issues/problems, do the recall on the lifters, redesign the engine to either handle the DFM (or disable it at least!)! I am going to sell my 2022 Tahoe 6.2L Z71 and get a reliable SUV...this will be my 6th and final GM product. Which is a real bummer as I love EVERYTHING about the new redesign, but need safety/reliability and company that cares when you get stranded, first!
Find yourself a comparable incoming Dmax and then all will be well again. It’s the only way you will feel confident about this vehicle…..

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. My 21 Tahoe is waiting for diagnosis on why one of the cylinders isn’t fireing. I suspect a bad lifter as on my case the engine falls within their known bad lifter dates.

Sorry for your experience. I got lucky that it didn’t happen when on a trip…I do feel your frustration though.
Just an update…I officially joined the lifter club.

They’re only replacing one bank, so I’m sure I’ll be back into the shop at some point again for the rest.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had worked for GM you would realize upper management doesn't care about much other than collecting the next bonus and you don't get bonuses by bringing problems to light, you hide them.

OP
OP
R

Rennsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update…I officially joined the lifter club.

They’re only replacing one bank, so I’m sure I’ll be back into the shop at some point again for the rest.
Thanks for the replies...and sorry for your troubles too!

Here is an update: I called GM Customer service with escalation requesting an extended warranty and/or replace the lifters (I reminded them that I have had 11 GM cars! Safe to say I am a loyal customer). Guess what they said after the escalation..."due to your state laws we will not buy back you car, all your defective parts have been replaced, and if you are still having issues I can refer you to a dealer". Oh and they said "we are sorry and appreciate what I went through", so heartfelt...

Once again, GM is so lost in their process and baton passing, they did not even hear my two requests and came back with this nonsense. I can sell my Z71 for more than I bought it for, why would I ask for a buy back? And I love the part where they state they have replaced all my defective parts...hysterical. And the dealership is the one that told me to call GM Customer service...they all love finger pointing me to spend more time, with no solutions/coordination/responsibility.

What the hell happened to GM? Why do they go out of their way to call me...with this nonsense? It makes things worse! I would have rather had my 15mins back of my life than have that last phone call...and I am now officially done with GM and putting a deposit down on a Toyota Sequoia. This will be my 11th and final GM vehicle...

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...and sorry for your troubles too!

Here is an update: I called GM Customer service with escalation requesting an extended warranty and/or replace the lifters (I reminded them that I have had 11 GM cars! Safe to say I am a loyal customer). Guess what they said after the escalation..."due to your state laws we will not buy back you car, all your defective parts have been replaced, and if you are still having issues I can refer you to a dealer". Oh and they said "we are sorry and appreciate what I went through", so heartfelt...

Once again, GM is so lost in their process and baton passing, they did not even hear my two requests and came back with this nonsense. I can sell my Z71 for more than I bought it for, why would I ask for a buy back? And I love the part where they state they have replaced all my defective parts...hysterical. And the dealership is the one that told me to call GM Customer service...they all love finger pointing me to spend more time, with no solutions/coordination/responsibility.

What the hell happened to GM? Why do they go out of their way to call me...with this nonsense? It makes things worse! I would have rather had my 15mins back of my life than have that last phone call...and I am now officially done with GM and putting a deposit down on a Toyota Sequoia. This will be my 11th and final GM vehicle...
I tried the same thing when I got half the lifters replaced last month. Supposedly they’re giving me two years of free oil changes and 20k in GM points, but I have yet to see either of those show up in my GM account.

I’m not satisfied either with that…I feel extended powertrain warranty would be appropriate but the customer service rep didn’t have that as an option to offer but yet there’s posts about others on here getting it.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have posted this before but last year we took a roadtrip to Florida from Texas. I drove my 2010 Tahoe since it has never let me down and stranded me... kind sad when you drive your vehicle with 200k plus miles over a new one because you know it is more reliable.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did yours break (error codes, misfire, etc) suddenly, or did you happen to notice any symptoms leading up to the collapsed lifter/misfire? Curious, because I just started to notice a ruff idle with mine when I come to a stop after cruising at highway speeds. It will then begin to idle more smoothly the longer I'm stopped (stop sign or at light). Minute or so,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts