Add an amp to factory sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrhld

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anybody here ever try adding an amp to the factory 8" subwoofer? I have a 2000 Tahoe and the bass is *just* lacking for my taste, so I am considering boosting the power to it and wondering if anyone has done the same.

If so, do you know the impedance and power handling of the sub??

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know the power handling of it, but its an 8ohm sub. Its also a peice of shit. If you are gonna add an amp, add a decent sub as well. I've heard many people who put either a Memphis or a Kicker comp 8 inch woofer in there. Most other brands are too deep for the factory enclosure.

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
its a 2ohm sub. the kicker will not fit without modification to stock box. the plastic trim on the sub is to big for the recessed hole. adding an amp is simple though.

OP
OP
A

adrhld

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, then I am a bigger **** because I posted here originally and I have a 2000 Tahoe. FWIW I ended up with a JL Audio 8", still had to trim the rubber around the edges to fit the recessed opening, and powered it with a Pioneer GM D7500M using the original sub signal. Plenty of bass for me and WAY better than the original. The class D amp runs very cool too - I can remember my old Sony, Yamaha and Alphasonik amps getting pretty warm compared to this thing, and they only had 30 - 40 watts each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts