**ACCIDENT PHOTOS FOUND**Looking to buy 2011 GMC Yukon XL, need your advice!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joena456

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2011 GMC Yukon XL or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $9,500 and it has 120200 miles with a Salvage Title.

**UPDATE**
Thanks for all of you guys advices, it's really helpful and allow me to think thoroughly, I run a car report from this site https://detailedvehiclehistory.com/, which is really cheap and they got mobile application! (It could be useful for you if you don't want to spend $40 for the carfax)
I saw a blurred photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. From the Picture the damage doesn't look that serious, It was sold for $6900, what do you guys think? Is worth the price, let me know Thanks again guys. Below is the report.

Report Link: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/1GKS2KE31BR124430
1661531680248.png
1661531702033.png
1661531720292.png

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be really careful with that one. Bent frames, suspension mounts, flooded electrical harnesses are all possibilities with a salvage title that will cause you problems that you may not be able to fix. Seems a good price for the year and mileage. Go over everything on the body and frame with a fine toothed comb, and take it to a shop that has a Tech 2 or equivalent code reader that read all of the modules for stored or ongoing faults.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I look at the car I look to see if there is an old insurance card left stuffed in the manual and see if I can get ahold of the old owner.

Find out what dealer serviced it and asked for records, you can generally get prior owners that way as well.

The driver's seat looks original with little wear which always points positively, salvage makes me nervous unless I can trace back all of the repairs.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote to pass on this Yukon XL.

I would much rather get a high mileage well maintained Yukon XL or Suburban [seems the Tahoe will be to small for your use] then to get a salvage vehicle. There is a excellent chance this Yukon XL is going to be a major money pit.

Even a high mileage [150K+] would work for me as long as I can see service records and have a good independent mechanic check it out from top to bottom.

Even a former police vehicle would work but only if it was a supervisor vehicle and not a front line vehicle. Most are well maintained either by fleet or dealer.

Mobile mechanics will come out to you if you do not have a independent mechanic in the area where the vehicle is located.

All that IMHO. To each their own.

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully what looks clean doesn't mean it actually is. I had my hubs redone on my 2011 about 3 months ago and they were so rusty I had to take the red wrench to them. Plus of its got a salvage title it either means big wreck or something else.

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Salvage has always made me nervous. I am all for a deal but there are way too many variables. I just bought a 2011 Denali XL with 92k that was in mint condition and I am slowly finding little things I missed on a pretty thorough inspection and test drive. I even had a mechanic look at the truck who found some more things that the dealer fixed but have still found a couple more items. It is easy to overlook things unfortunately. I would take the suggestions above and move in unless you get them down to $5k or so because then your not out as much if you find something later.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the flip, sometimes vehicles are salvaged very unfairly, like from a simple theft recovery. A broken rear window that allowed a minor rain shower to wet the rear seat of an E46 M3 was how my nephew scored a deal on an essentially perfect car. He didn't care about the resale value so the salvage title worked in his favor on the price. I don't know the market in CA, but my first thought is that $9,500 is too close to a clean title value. If you find a thorough and accurate history and find that its salvage title is one of the rare "unjustified" cases and the Yukon is actually in the condition as it appears, then it could be a good vehicle after all. But the salvage title means it's not worth anywhere near clean title value and you might have a lot of bargaining room. But, it comes down to what the seller will let it go for and what someone is willing to pay.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion
1. it's used, no matter the title status, around here you could easily pick one up "used" from a owner albeit with probably slightly more mileage I see them posted online often and I look everyday just as a habit window shopping.
2. salvage title vehicles can be very clean and have virtually no signs of damage, but you have to look closely especially under it. If you have a keen eye even the best repair can be spotted. the benefits are that it may have good fresh paint as a result of the repairs and being it is now "salvage" sometimes people will go the extra mile to try and sell it because of the stigma so you might have a little leverage on the price.
take a flashlight with you when you look at it and expect to get dirty because you want to be under it looking up, primary thing is to look for frame damage as already noted a bent frame or under carriage will cause driveability problems in the long run. If the frame looks good then you are probably good to go, make sure everything works try opening and closing all the doors hatch and windows up/down, etc see if they all feel the same. If you can test drive then go in a straight away and let go of the steering wheel and see what she does, do a emergency stop and see what she does, go in a tight full circle left & right and see how it feels each way, go over some speed bumps and listen for any unusual sounds. eye ball it down the sides front and back from eye level and see if anything looks uneven. I have purchased salvage title vehicles in the past and had no issue's but I did look them over very carefully first.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be really careful with that one. Bent frames, suspension mounts, flooded electrical harnesses are all possibilities with a salvage title that will cause you problems that you may not be able to fix. Seems a good price for the year and mileage. Go over everything on the body and frame with a fine toothed comb, and take it to a shop that has a Tech 2 or equivalent code reader that read all of the modules for stored or ongoing faults.
it's a california car so flood damage is very unlikely but the vehicle history will need to be looked at to verify.