Accelerate from a complete stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a duplicate thread or posted in the wrong place.

I recently purchased a 2017 Tahoe Premier. I was wondering if it’s normal for the throttle response from a complete stop to be a little slow or maybe have just a tad bit of a delay?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A slight throttle lag has been a trait since the drive-by-wire throttle was implemented starting in '03. Unless yours is excessive, it's likely the normal lag. A good tune (such as from Black Bear) can fix it as well as improve other areas, some of which you may not realize need tweaking.

OP
OP

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A slight throttle lag has been a trait since the drive-by-wire throttle was implemented starting in '03. Unless yours is excessive, it's likely the normal lag. A good tune (such as from Black Bear) can fix it as well as improve other areas, some of which you may not realize need tweaking.
Thank you for your reply iamdub. A few years ago I had a 2009 Tahoe and the initial throttle response off the line seemed more responsive. I love my new 2017 Tahoe (it’s new to me) I just would love to have more of a responsive throttle, I’m going to take a look at what Black Bear has. Hopefully they have something that is easy for me to install. And I don’t know if it’s just me or if others feel like the factory height of the rear end is up just a tad bit high, I almost feel like taking it down a quarter inch or so, just not sure the best way to do that. I swear the factory suspension rides a tab bit rough, but then again I can be a little picky.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply iamdub. A few years ago I had a 2009 Tahoe and the initial throttle response off the line seemed more responsive. I love my new 2017 Tahoe (it’s new to me) I just would love to have more of a responsive throttle, I’m going to take a look at what Black Bear has. Hopefully they have something that is easy for me to install. And I don’t know if it’s just me or if others feel like the factory height of the rear end is up just a tad bit high, I almost feel like taking it down a quarter inch or so, just not sure the best way to do that. I swear the factory suspension rides a tab bit rough, but then again I can be a little picky.

Remember that your Tahoe even with all its luxuriousness was still made for towing and hauling. It will ride a lot nicer with a couple hundred pounds of weight on the rear axle, such as when hauling luggage on a trip, mulch from Home Depot or pulling a trailer, or just loaded up with passengers going to dinner.

OP
OP

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know if this is something that gradually happened or what but today I realized when I accelerate from a complete stop, that the accelerator responds A LOT better than it did when I purchased it a couple weeks ago. Today for some reason I really noticed it. Kind of weird, I don't know if I'm just use to it now or if I'm going crazy lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is something that gradually happened or what but today I realized when I accelerate from a complete stop, that the accelerator responds A LOT better than it did when I purchased it a couple weeks ago. Today for some reason I really noticed it. Kind of weird, I don't know if I'm just use to it now or if I'm going crazy lol

Maybe she just needed some time to break in, like a good pair of boots or saddle. My last Pontiac was as tight as Fort Knox until she hit 9,000 miles and then magically opened up, ran faster, felt faster, better mileage, etc.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Maybe she just needed some time to break in, like a good pair of boots or saddle. My last Pontiac was as tight as Fort Knox until she hit 9,000 miles and then magically opened up, ran faster, felt faster, better mileage, etc.

Could be change in weather/temperature or maybe it comes programmed with a "break-in tune" that softens everything for a given time and/or mileage? The OP said this Tahoe was "new to him", so I'm lead to believe it is a preowned unit that already has some mileage on it.

OP
OP

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s a preowned 2017 Premier, came with 40k miles. Even though it’s used it’s still new to me :) it’s just weird because the accelerator response time is completely different now than when I purchased it two weeks ago. Is it possible for the anything on the vehicle to learn from my driving? These last two times I filled up I specifically went to Chevron instead of Arco.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a preowned 2017 Premier, came with 40k miles. Even though it’s used it’s still new to me :) it’s just weird because the accelerator response time is completely different now than when I purchased it two weeks ago. Is it possible for the anything on the vehicle to learn from my driving? These last two times I filled up I specifically went to Chevron instead of Arco.

BINGO! Chevron is the best gasoline performance wise you can buy. Then again, maybe the floor mat was under the accelerator pedal.

Oh, and yes, the computer does adapt to a driver's driving habits, especially the transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver. Okay good I'm going to continue filling up with Chevron premium. It didn't come with floor mats. I still have the sticky plastic protector they put all over the carpet. I'm just glad the accelerator lag time has improved majorly, its so much more responsive. It's almost as if it is mirroring the way I drive with it in manual mode where I have to shift it on my own (I did that often because it wasn't taking the rpm's up decently enough in between shifts). Now when I have the transmission in regular drive I swear it feels like it shifts very similar to my manual driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yamen76