AC r/r - parts & tools required

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I posted about a month or two ago about my AC working intermittently, and it finally kicked the bucket. The clutch surfaces are extremely rough, and though the bearing seemed fine, it was definitely not engaging correctly. I also suspect a leak because I had to add a bit after only 2 months.

Fast forward to now, I'm working in Florida, and desperately need my AC to work. I have most of my tools down here, but I want to make sure I have everything I need, so I'm looking for any tips from others on special tools required.

I have a basic 3/8" socket set with allen wrenches, a couple 1/2" sockets and ratchet. Are there any "unique" tools required they I can pick up before I tackle this?

I'm gonna have a shop vacuum and refill it once I replace everything, but I want to make sure I replace everything I should while I have use of a garage:

compressor (with oil)
accumulator/dryer
orifice tube

Should I replace the condensor & evaporator? Is there a single kit that has all the o-rings required? It's very convoluted on the parts websites.

What about any switches, I'm not familiar with GM AC systems, but by the looks of it there's only two sensors/switches - evaporator temperature sensor and high pressure sensor, is that accurate?

Any other helpful suggestions, I'm listening

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in Broward County there is a awesome independent mechanic [who will not rip you off] if you want him to eventually check it out.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't need to replace the evaporator in the dash.. The condenser out front is
a good idea to replace as it gets pretty beat up...
I know Rockauto has a kit that will have all the Orings, etc , compressor in it..
but of course you'll have to check your app
Basic tools will get you where you need on this job so have at it !!

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't need to replace the evaporator in the dash.. The condenser out front is
a good idea to replace as it gets pretty beat up...
I know Rockauto has a kit that will have all the Orings, etc , compressor in it..
but of course you'll have to check your app
Basic tools will get you where you need on this job so have at it !!
I saw the truck auto kit after I bought the compressor, and I didn't see a kit with JUST o-rings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins