AC problem, help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunset Gold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello there. I just purchased a 01 tahoe lt. previous owner told me that the AC worked good but the belt broke on him. I put on a new belt and theAC worked great for about 20 minutes or so, then it made an awful rattling sound. After looking underneath, I found that the tensioner assembly was slamming hard over into the AC lines! Being unfamiliar with AC systems, I got a new tensioner and replaced it but have the same problem. What is the cause of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1 year old granddaughter that I take with me a lot so really like to have my AC working. Thanks.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures?

Sounds to me that the ac lines need to be moved out of the way.

sefiro

Reaction score
Wrong size belt would push the tensioner farther out towards the ac lines. Or the tensioner spring is shot

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sunset Gold

Sunset Gold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pictures?

Sounds to me that the ac lines need to be moved out of the way.
It's the stock AC lines that come out of the radiator, can't really move them. Had a friend look underneath at it and he said that the pulley on front of compressor is trying to lock up and that is making the tensioner slam over. So I assume that means I need to replace the whole compressor or ?

OP
OP
Sunset Gold

Sunset Gold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wrong size belt would push the tensioner farther out towards the ac lines. Or the tensioner spring is shot

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Tensioner is brand new. As far as belt goes, it is new from AutoZone but I had no old one to compare to so I can only assume it is correct also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58