2004 Yukon XL whistle with belt off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachreilly0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Ive had a problem with my yukon xl with the 5.3L Vortec. It has been making a very high pitched whistle sound that matches rpms. I have replaced the alternator, ac tensioner pulley, and the ac belt. It also makes the sound with the serpentine belt off. I have also sprayed brake cleaner around the intake manifold to no avail. Please leave your suggestions.

Thanks

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel trims at engine idle speed will asist in identifying intake leaks. High pitched sounds may be generated when exhaust gasses escape at the exhaust manifold gasket or cracks in the exhaust manifold, etc.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Ive had a problem with my yukon xl with the 5.3L Vortec. It has been making a very high pitched whistle sound that matches rpms. I have replaced the alternator, ac tensioner pulley, and the ac belt. It also makes the sound with the serpentine belt off. I have also sprayed brake cleaner around the intake manifold to no avail. Please leave your suggestions.

Thanks
A video would help here. Record video with your phone, moving around the engine bay to get a feel for sound from viewer's perspective. Upload it in YT and post the link.

Otherwise a stethoscope is pretty cheap and effective at pinpointing strange sounds.

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does kinda sound like a bearing from an accessory, or something like that? A video from the engine bay may be more helpful. Probably not the belt, but sometimes the belts can start screeching if coolant drip on them (like from a leak or replacing something like a thermostat).

I recently bought a cheap HF stethoscope: our 2013 Town & Country developed a squealing. I had replaced the thermostat a few months ago but didn't remember to remove the belt (huge PIA to do that on those engines.) Anyways, with the stethoscope I did not pick up any noise from any accessories and noise disappeared when I removed the belt and ran it...So a new belt fixed the problem.

Fundamntl_Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? My 2004 Yukon XL has been making the exact same noises and this is the first video I have seen of someone with the same problem.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? My 2004 Yukon XL has been making the exact same noises and this is the first video I have seen of someone with the same problem.

Have you removed both accessory belts to determine if it persists? Results?

OP
OP
Z

zachreilly0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not I still have the noise, I would check the ac belt tensioner first before anything in your case though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts