AC Fan Switch - wiring diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoeLV

Reaction score
I was having issue with the fan switch and it would only turn on at speed 3 intermittingly and not at all when at speed 1, 2 or 4.
I changed the blower motor resistor and no change. I then went to change the fan switch in the climate control module. The problem weas easy to spot when disconnecting the pigtails on the back. I found the back side of the switch was melted and the pigtail was slightly melted as well. While it appears that the switch is what caused the problem, I want to check the wires once I put a new pigtail on.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this area? Or know what wires go where? I don't want to put a new switch in and have the same thing happen if it wasn't the switch that caused the problem.

Edit:
98 Tahoe - 2 door, 4WD

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I posted my issue similar to yours in these older threads. I had water leaking into my heater duct, which shorted out the blower motor, and fried the wiring.

This one too:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I posted my issue similar to yours in these older threads. I had water leaking into my heater duct, which shorted out the blower motor, and fried the wiring.

This one too:

I came across that and am assuming that is what caused mine to go out a couple times as well. I don't recall if the first time it was melted or not, but this time it for sure is. But, thinking back, each time it went out was inline with wet weather and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I am replacing the switch and the pigtail it mates with now. I will then try to seal that ducting to hopefully prevent any additional issues. How has it held up for you?

Also, I have noticed an odd humming type sound coming from the area down where the blower is. I am thinking it may be an actuator door or something down there. Is there something I should be looking at down there?

Thanks

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I siliconed that panel under the passenger side windshield cowl, there was no more water on the floormat, and my heater problems disappeared.

I used to have a chirping sound from my blower motor that would get worse if I turned left? I think it was water that would pool in the duct and hit the rotating impeller when it would slosh side to side. I drilled a small drain hole at the 6 o’clock position on the duct just as a failsafe. I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
Once I siliconed that panel under the passenger side windshield cowl, there was no more water on the floormat, and my heater problems disappeared.

I used to have a chirping sound from my blower motor that would get worse if I turned left? I think it was water that would pool in the duct and hit the rotating impeller when it would slosh side to side. I drilled a small drain hole at the 6 o’clock position on the duct just as a failsafe. I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!
i dont recall the floor being wet in my case, not many chances for rain here in Vegas. but i do think there is a leak being the fan switch has fried at least twice now.

this panel that needs to be sealed, anymore insight on where this is? i cant remember where i saw info about this. When looking under the cowl, i see a rectangular opening that looks like it would go towards the duct for blower motor. but there isnt anything to seal. when looking from under the dash, i see there is a foam gasket for something, but couldnt really see what that is for. i was a smart one and started this project as the sun went down so lighting is not working in my favor be any means

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rectangular “blanking” panel is located under the passenger side of the defrost grill by the windshield wiper. Left on the picture below. This panel had sealant around it that was cracked and allowed water to leak into the blower duct located directly underneath. I laid a heavy bead of silicone all around it, and all was good.

Attachments

• B3382CAB-070C-4C3F-98DB-1006E48F5BF2.jpeg
    B3382CAB-070C-4C3F-98DB-1006E48F5BF2.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
The rectangular “blanking” panel is located under the passenger side of the defrost grill by the windshield wiper. Left on the picture below. This panel had sealant around it that was cracked and allowed water to leak into the blower duct located directly underneath. I laid a heavy bead of silicone all around it, and all was good.
awesome, thank you.

i will grab some silicone and take a look at it this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep