AC blowing luke cold...lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy, just looking for some quick suggestions hopefully. i searched a bunch of threads with mention of the blend door actuator reset and a myriad of other things. However, it seems as if what I am experiencing is slightly different in that I don't get hot air out of one set of vents vs. another, nor do I get hot air in general. My problem is that the air that IS blowing out is just not very cool. It's marginally cool, but after riding in other cars with what I would consider cold air, it's not close. I can raise my temp settings and the air gets warm and operates as normal. I can take it all the way down to 60 on the digital display and it will get colder, but nothing the equivalent of ice cold air. I have recharged it before and that usually did the trick. This time, when I went to recharge, the gauge was showing in the green already like it was happy. On top of that, when trying to charge, it was as if nothing was actually going into the system. The can didn't get cold and I don't think it was any lighter based on my calibrated hands. lol. Again, it's the same temp coming out of all vents, not just specific ones. 2007 Yukon SLT fully loaded. I smell nothing noticeable, and I have no leaks. Just want to figure this out as Florida is still hot right now...

Oh, if it helps, my truck is garage kept. What I have noticed is that if I turn the air on immediately after leaving my garage, it seems to blow much colder than it does if I let it sit in a parking lock in the heat of the day and then get in and start it up. This had me think it may be some kind of external or internal temp sensor that is not reading properly and hence not wanting to trigger the proper commanded interior temp? Just thinking out loud as i type this. Any and all help/suggestions would be good.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
A/C can be very difficult to diagnose... especially over the internet.

There are so many possibilities on an older system and then you add in all the extra sensors that these trucks have and it can be a real nightmare if you don't have the proper tools.

A Tech2 would be very helpful. I'm not sure where you are in FL but @swathdiver has a Tech2 and he is in South FL and there may be others.

I would suggest pulling the ambient air sensors inside the cabin and cleaning them.

There should be 2. One above the drivers seat and one further back on the drivers side between the 2nd and 3rd row seats in/on the headliner.

They look like a little round speaker grille about 1"-1.5" in diameter.

Pull the grill and blow the grille and sensor out with compressed air and see if that helps.

I replaced mine with new ones when I had a similar issue but after pulling the old ones and see the amount of dust accumulated on the inside of those grilles I am almost certain a good cleaning may have done the trick. It looked like a lint trap in a clothes dryer.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kbuskill. I will start with that and see what happens. I am about 20 minutes north of tampa. A friend has HP tuners for his ATS-V and Z06. I wonder if i buy the tokens needed for my truck that it would tell me the same info as a tech 2... Regardless, thanks for your time!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kbuskill. I will start with that and see what happens. I am about 20 minutes north of tampa. A friend has HP tuners for his ATS-V and Z06. I wonder if i buy the tokens needed for my truck that it would tell me the same info as a tech 2... Regardless, thanks for your time!!

Check and make sure with your friend but I think that would work. I think there's a guy on here in Davenport who recently bought one. Remember him Ken with the speaker and amp problems? That'd be a run on I-4 to Haines City and back.