AC blower issues, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iggy305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GoodMorning Gents,
I have a 2003 Tahoe, I’ve owned it for 12 years, never gave me a problem. Now Im having an issue that has me stumped. I AC works well but recently as Im driving my Blower stops blowing air but I can hear the blower still running. Then I crank the fan up to high and a little air blows out and the blows sound kinda loud. Then all of a sudden it will start working again. I’ve taken the blower out to clean it and I have no cabin filter down there. My year did not come with a cabin filter. Has anyone had this issue or heard of this? I appreciate any help, thank you.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you were in there, did everything look like it was all in place?

Sounds like a problem with a blend door or blend door actuator.
From what you describe, it is almost like the door is stuck closed or the actuator that opens the door is not doing its thing.

OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While you were in there, did everything look like it was all in place?

Sounds like a problem with a blend door or blend door actuator.
From what you describe, it is almost like the door is stuck closed or the actuator that opens the door is not doing its thing.
I thought that as well so I turned the truck on and when I saw the AC was blowing fine as it usually does when I start it up. I disconnected the blend door actuator under the drivers side. I began driving an about 15 minutes later it started with that thing it does. So I don’t know. What kills me is that I know if I go to a shop, it will be working perfectly and won’t do what it does to me. Once I leave it will do it again.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

@swathdiver has a pretty good handle on the multiple door actuators that come with these trucks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia beat me to it. There are 4 blend door actuators under there. Should be able to see resistor with glove box removal. Look for loose connections or any discolored connections. Sometimes, just unplugging and plugging back in can fix. Also, look for any connections that have pushed out of the harness where they are just touching end to end instead of a good male/female connection.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might want to carefully inspect the blower resistor connector for burned or scorched contacts. Could also pull the resistor out to inspect for overheating.

You can also directly connect 12v to the blower motor to see if it has any hiccups.

OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

@swathdiver has a pretty good handle on the multiple door actuators that come with these trucks.
Thanks for the welcome!