Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortyloc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 03 Chevy Tahoe the other day I went to start my truck and found that the truck was on but not fully on, like when you want to listen to the radio you know....the lights on the console were on but im not sure for how long either because my fiance went to grab something from the truck while I was not there but kicker was the key was not even in the ignition. We jumped it and it is running but now she stops occasionally. Does the battery need to be taken to get charged or could it be something else? Spark plugs or fuel pump related??...
Help!
Chevy girl

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After sitting overnight, put a voltmeter on the battery and see what its state of charge is. This will give an indication of whether it's time for a new battery or not. If the battery is more than 3-4 years old, it's probably done for.

Lots of short trips drain a battery and do not let it get fully recharged. Consider a battery tender if this is your case.

1709580924408.png

If your battery is below 65% state of charge, it's due for replacement.

OP
OP
S

shortyloc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went to recharge my battery got it charged and was told battery was in good condition, she turns on runs and stuff but still continues to die. so heard a number of issues it could be if it still is dying, it could be the alternator, spark plug misfires, fuel pump clog ahh a few others thing that I can't remember..

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... We jumped it and it is running but now she stops occasionally ...
... if it still is dying, it could be the alternator ...
was the battery
load tested
or just showing that it was fully charged when checked?
make sure it was properly
load tested ...
After the load test, test the alternator.
Street test: turn EVERYTHING on at the same time:
Turn on the entire HVAC system with AC & defrosters, high beams & hazard lights & fog lights, wipers on quickfast, and anything else you can think of
If you can't start the car AFTER turning everything else on, replace battery
If the car starts, leave everything on, drive as gingerly as possible.
If the car shuts off, replace alternator.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A WAG here but I am with @TollKeeper here. Check the ignition switch. Known culprit. If it has an all black case, it is suspect. The updated ones are black and grey. Very easy to get to and replace. I have a video at you tube for my girl's TrailBlazer for doing this and is basically the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan