ABS/ Brake light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what torx size they are but this is what o usually use to get at screws like that- 1/4” drive ratchet with an adaptor that accepts bits. You can get a set of torx bits from t10-t30 for cheap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 3

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. Especially the recommendation of a scanner. I feel like it already paid for itself and I plan to use it as needed with all our vehicles.

Looks like we don't have code JL4, so I guess no active brake control. I can get a Cardone reman for under $200 after core. I may do that

I'm not the best solderer (is that a word) there is. I may give it a go and see. I'm really hoping I can get to the screws. We're in OK, and I wash under our vehicles often (I'm kind of OCD). I'm hopeful the screws aren't corroded and don't have lots of dirt packed into the heads. Does anyone know what size torx bit these screws are? And any tips other than the dirt on the screw heads?
The other way to tell real quick is to see if you have the spout out the front of the master cylinder. If you do you have the Active Brake Control.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be careful taking out those screws holding that module in they like to strip like a drunk hook-er, I would blow some air up under there to clean it out so you can hopefully get the bit in good. if it strips you will have to cut it out and then no core value.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be careful taking out those screws holding that module in they like to strip like a drunk hook-er, I would blow some air up under there to clean it out so you can hopefully get the bit in good. if it strips you will have to cut it out and then no core value.
Or use a small pick tool.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get in deeper and see the stored codes!
This was mine, which was ultimately a hub that was doomed for failure.
20211120_161245 (2).jpg

Yours should be able to do live data (including wheel speed sensors), which is handy. You may want to see fuel trims, O2 sensor readings and other things during future diagnosis.

After having the Zurich for 3 years...
I ended up dropping $300 on a Tech 2 clone, but I keep the Zurich with me on the road in the console.
It is helpful in reading any codes to see if it is something that may require a tow or not, which has saved me a few times from calling AAA for something that can wait for me to repair when I get home.

At some point, I found that there was an area somewhere in the Zurich menus/submenus called "Chevrolet OEM Enhanced - ECM".
When I dove in, it appeared to have all codes stored (8 of them) since last total reset. Here was one of the 8 codes... Not sure when that ever happened, but I never had any CEL codes for my torque converter, stop lamp switch circuit or cruise control set switch since I have owned it.
20211120_171234.jpg

Tech 2 scanner takes things to another level, though and REALLY worth the $$ if you are keeping an older GM vehicle.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get in deeper and see the stored codes!
This was mine, which was ultimately a hub that was doomed for failure.
View attachment 384661

Yours should be able to do live data (including wheel speed sensors), which is handy. You may want to see fuel trims, O2 sensor readings and other things during future diagnosis.

After having the Zurich for 3 years...
I ended up dropping $300 on a Tech 2 clone, but I keep the Zurich with me on the road in the console.
It is helpful in reading any codes to see if it is something that may require a tow or not, which has saved me a few times from calling AAA for something that can wait for me to repair when I get home.

At some point, I found that there was an area somewhere in the Zurich menus/submenus called "Chevrolet OEM Enhanced - ECM".
When I dove in, it appeared to have all codes stored (8 of them) since last total reset. Here was one of the 8 codes... Not sure when that ever happened, but I never had any CEL codes for my torque converter, stop lamp switch circuit or cruise control set switch since I have owned it.
View attachment 384660

Tech 2 scanner takes things to another level, though and REALLY worth the $$ if you are keeping an older GM vehicle.
So the enhanced menu was on your ZR8? I'll be honest, I can't recall how I got to the ABS section. I clicked through everything, but I believe I hit a different button on the unit itself and found it. Glad I did.

I saw the graphing feature. Thats kind of cool. Not sure how much tuning it allows. I'm used to driving my muscle cars (sold my last one last May) around with a passenger and a laptop in their lap using HP tuners to tune for me. Had no idea this scanner would even show real time graph

I think I may use these guys. Found a few people who say their work is really good, they're quick and they're in MO which isn't too far from...

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. "Chevrolet OEM Enhanced - ECM" was found through the system on my ZR8.
Photo of just one of the 8 stored codes is below as an example of what I was able to see.

I had no active issues with my stop light...

None of these codes in the Enhanced section were listed under CEL menu, because they were not active codes.

20211120_171240.jpg

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. "Chevrolet OEM Enhanced - ECM" was found through the system on my ZR8.
Photo of just one of the 8 stored codes is below as an example of what I was able to see.

I had no active issues with my stop light...

None of these codes in the Enhanced section were listed under CEL menu, because they were not active codes.

View attachment 384695
I don't recall if you mentioned, but what Tech II scanner did you go with?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the enhanced menu was on your ZR8? I'll be honest, I can't recall how I got to the ABS section. I clicked through everything, but I believe I hit a different button on the unit itself and found it. Glad I did.

I saw the graphing feature. Thats kind of cool. Not sure how much tuning it allows. I'm used to driving my muscle cars (sold my last one last May) around with a passenger and a laptop in their lap using HP tuners to tune for me. Had no idea this scanner would even show real time graph

I think I may use these guys. Found a few people who say their work is really good, they're quick and they're in MO which isn't too far from...

Their instructions state the Torx are t-20 FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645