About that funny shaped intake tube - there's a reason - Performance!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still not buying it, does Alfalfa Romeo even have a V8 engine ???
You have a plenum in your intake manifold for a common holding of air, the plenum air is supplied by the air box via the tube, the airbox is not restricted enough to the point of that little additional reservoir of air to make a difference.
When you watch NHRA drag racing not one of those cars are using an airbox, they are just wide open to the atmosphere. When I drag race my other car I remove the filters all together for uninhibited flow, it runs faster than through the filters although the air may be a little more turbulent.
I would think that extra box is all for noise cancellation only, breaking up the straight through approach/flow of air from the box.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, an NHRA dragster has a completely different engine often supercharged and 4000 hp....running on Nitro....air box would not allow that and choke the engine. We have 300 hp - at the rear wheels...

The airflow has pulses even in the airtube. Its all connected.

The extra resonator tubes are primarily for sound.

LDMoore

Reaction score
That BLACKBEAR report is interesting but IGNORES sound attenuation. Unless I missed it max dB in the cabin was never measured.

Many soccer moms/dads don't want the loud roar of a CAI.....
Which is EXACTLY why the stock system is designed the way it is. The average consumer doesn't want that much engine noise but for the enthusiast like most of us we generally like the noise so the trade off is a win win

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I stated earlier- it’s not at all for performance as stated by the OP but to quiet the sound of the intake IMO and although nobody here has shown any data or comparisons sound-wise I can say that every aftermarket CAI I’ve installed has resulted in an increase in intake noise, at least to my ears. But this thread was started with the opinion that the stock intake was designed with performance in mind. And nobody I know of that has installed an aftermarket CAI has expected it to be as quiet as stock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the same air tube used on the 5.3 as the 6.2?

If it hinders flow on the 5.3, can you imagine what it does on the 6.2

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
G

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the same air tube used on the 5.3 as the 6.2?

If it hinders flow on the 5.3, can you imagine what it does on the 6.2

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
The stock unit does not hinder flow - that is the point - in the video a few posts back it shows the stock unit actually made more peak horsepower than the MIT. MIT's are prettier and make more noise but any performance gain over stock would be negligible. The following video offers a truly Honest and unbiased opinion

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a GM engineer who frequents these forums and he is the one who designed the GMT800/900 airbox if memory serves. I don't remember if he joined up here or over at...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342926

Why don't somebody join up over there and ask him? I sent him a query a couple years ago and never heard back.
To be clear - a full CAI will provide a few extra horsepower over stock - Most of this power increase is due to the large, high flowing - low restriction - low filtration filter. In this discussion I am specifically referring to the Intake Tube - the MIT - the tube between the air box and the throttle body. I understand that people think they are ugly - but the truth is the stock intake tube performs AS WELL AS the aftermarket "performance tubes". In the provided test from Black Bear we are only looking at the first - top 2 - on the chart - stock, and Airraid MIT. the others are all Full CAI's with large Cone filters. The test shows the performance of stock intake and Airraid MIT are almost identical. I am just trying to show that the stock intake IS NOT the worthless piece of crap people try to make it out to be.

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

BlackBears own words in the comments comparing the two - " little to no gains"

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I stated earlier- it’s not at all for performance as stated by the OP but to quiet the sound of the intake IMO and although nobody here has shown any data or comparisons sound-wise I can say that every aftermarket CAI I’ve installed has resulted in an increase in intake noise, at least to my ears. But this thread was started with the opinion that the stock intake was designed with performance in mind. And nobody I know of that has installed an aftermarket CAI has expected it to be as quiet as stock.
This design literally Screams Performance

dv3.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the big point is simply removing the resonator and not doing anything else by just capping off where the resonator went will give you back some of the sound some people like. that could however have negative effects as the entire stock system is designed to utilize the resonator and give you the best power at the same time. depending on the vehicle a cai can have a large benefit in power but greatly increase the sound. other vehicles a cai will just make a bunch of noise with no gain in power. in other vehicles it is a full trade off between maximum power and actually hurting your low rpm power. 4 cyl engines was also mentioned so lets toss a typical 4 cyl civic in for a ref. a 2000 civic d16 a cai will literally do nothing but add a bunch of noise. a 2008 civic r18 a full cai will add some top end performance but you will notice a drop in your power off the line. you also cant compare some ebay junk to what most of the note worthy aftermarket companies sell you. buying an intake system isn't for everyone and doing your research prior to buying one should always be done. a stock intake system isnt so restrictive that you cant gain some power and keep it on the vehicle. if your after the sound and look of a cai why not. if your after power but without the added sound dont do an intake. if your after the sound and power do your research prior to buying simple as that. any aftermarket option that can be looked at as an "upgrade" in some fashion should be researched before buying regardless. no reason this discussion needs to get heated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar