About that funny shaped intake tube - there's a reason - Performance!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting find, however.... I wouldn't care if I lost 20HP by ditching my ugly factory air intake. It looks bad and I prefer the engine noise... sound waves and pressure be damned, haha.

OP
OP
G

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting find, however.... I wouldn't care if I lost 20HP by ditching my ugly factory air intake. It looks bad and I prefer the engine noise... sound waves and pressure be damned, haha.
I think the ability to control air pressure pulses has become a lot more important with the addition of variable valve timing to V8 engines.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That article is way to generic/vague and I'd like to see an infrared, if you will, video of the soundwave bouncing off the backside of the valve, back through the intake manifold, maf, down the tube and into that chamber. Just give me a back to back dyno comparison and db level output to see real world results.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, well Blackbear Performance did dyno tests comparing CAI’s and most of them gained a few HP over the ugly stock intake tube, and some quite a few more, so exactly how good did GM engineers do on the HP side of the equation as opposed to the quiet side of it? I’m of the belief that they chose quiet over performance. You can still find the results of their latest test, on a ‘16 6.2l, on their website. They gained over 25 HP with the AFE intake.

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well Blackbear Performance did dyno tests comparing CAI’s and most of them gained a few HP over the ugly stock intake tube, and some quite a few more, so exactly how good did GM engineers do on the HP side of the equation as opposed to the quiet side of it? I’m of the belief that they chose quiet over performance. You can still find the results of their latest test, on a ‘16 6.2l, on their website. They gained over 25 HP with the AFE intake.

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

Thanks for that link, looks like that AFE is the best overall, I just asked a question about an AirRaid tube in a different thread, but this answers that question. Now to check prices for my 2013 5.3 PPV

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also found this video rather interesting about the tubes

the dyno curves are interesting

LDMoore

Reaction score
Interesting analysis but I also believe it was primarily for sound dampening. As has been noted if this was true then dyno testing should show a loss in power and not gains.

My other question is when this pressure wave bounces back would it not just move toward another cylinder with an open valve instead of ALL the way back into the intake tube? I can see how you might possibly have waves bouncing around inside the manifold but as the cylinders are pulling in air sequentially and consistently the air coming into the tube should be constant and consistent.

If you're talking about a single or two cylinder engine this might make sense but in something like a V8 there's always at least 1 or 2 intake valves open at any given time for air to be drawn into.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts