A/C compressor sealing washer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OdeToBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've inherited my father-in-law's 1999 Tahoe a couple of years ago and I'm finally trying to sort out the A/C (which he was in the process of trying to revive when he passed away).
I, unfortunately, didn't get to talk with him about it before he passed.
I knew that he had replaced the compressor but when I inherited it, the system was empty.
I've flushed all the flushable lines and replaced orifice tubes and the rear expansion valve and the accumulator/dryer.
The system held shop air fine at about 60 psi.
I vacuumed it down and it's held vacuum fine for the past week or so.
I went to charge it up today and was immeadiately met with a HUGE leak at the high side connection between the compressor and the muffler line that runs to the condenser.
At this point, I think I either don't have the correct sealing washer or a spacer or something, or that the replacement compressor isn't compatible with the OEM line connector block.
Can anyone advise what I should be looking for/verifying/changing?
Thanks for the advice
-Bob

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a pic of sticker on AC dryer for charge weight and RPO sticker in glove box. Maybe you got wrong parts.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm operating on memory so I can't swear this is correct. Fit the manifold hose to the compressor with no seals and see how it sits. I think one side seal is thicker than the other.
Side note I wouldn't blow shop air into a system that I wanted to make work. Shop air is contaminated with moisture, AC systems don't like moisture.

OP
OP
O

OdeToBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take a pic of sticker on AC dryer for charge weight and RPO sticker in glove box. Maybe you got wrong parts.
Thanks for the tip. I did get the info off the old dryer but didn’t know about the RPO. I’ll take a look for it and double check what I’ve bought.

OP
OP
O

OdeToBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm operating on memory so I can't swear this is correct. Fit the manifold hose to the compressor with no seals and see how it sits. I think one side seal is thicker than the other.
Side note I wouldn't blow shop air into a system that I wanted to make work. Shop air is contaminated with moisture, AC systems don't like moisture.
Definitely has two different heights on the manifold fittings. One (low side) had a thick red washer and the other (high side) had a metal washer with a rubber center.
I think it’s possible that my late father-in-law installed both of these though. So I’m not confident they’re correct/stock.
There’s a kit that autozone sells with a couple of differing colors and thickness washer/gaskets. I’m thinking that’s got the washer/gaskets I’m needing.

Also, thanks for the note on shop air. I hadn’t considered that that might not be the best thing to push into an A/C system. I’ll refrain from doing that in the future and hope I haven’t done too much damage. Would you recommend doing anything at this point to help myself out? Vacuuming the system for longer? Or…??
Thanks again,
Bob

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling vacuum for a long time helps to eliminate any moisture so it wouldn't hurt. I like to shut the gauges and leave them for a long tome to see if there is any drop in readings. Both washers should have a rubber center and fit over the part of the manifold hose. You say you flushed. Did you put oil into the system? I distribute the oil in each area as I assemble, I use a veterinary style syringe to measure and put the oil in. Be sure to use the correct weight oil.

OP
OP
O

OdeToBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pulling vacuum for a long time helps to eliminate any moisture so it wouldn't hurt. I like to shut the gauges and leave them for a long tome to see if there is any drop in readings. Both washers should have a rubber center and fit over the part of the manifold hose. You say you flushed. Did you put oil into the system? I distribute the oil in each area as I assemble, I use a veterinary style syringe to measure and put the oil in. Be sure to use the correct weight oil.
I've been pulling a vacuum for an hour plus each time I had to open the system. Hopefully that'll help.
Thanks for the advice.
I went down to a pull-a-part yard and checked a couple of similar trucks just to be sure. Looks like both sides needed the thinner metal/rubber washer you mentioned. My father-in-law had added the red one by mistake I suppose.
Everything seems to be holding vacuum fine now and I filled the system with 64 oz of freon this afternoon. Good pressures on the gauges (for 58 degree weather) and no leaks that I can see with the uv light. Everything is blowing very cold, including the rear ac.
I did spread 11oz of pag150 throughout the system when I was refitting everything with the new o-rings. Thanks for mentioning that though.
This was the first time I've ever touched anything related to a car's AC. I've learned quite a bit from reading things on this forum and I sincerely appreciate the replies here on this last bit of my adventure.
Here's hoping things are still solid when Tennessee gets hot again!
-Bob

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. People think that pulling a vacum is only to test the system. It is to remove any moisture from the system. Water boils at a much lower temperture under vacum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019