2016 Yukon XL Denali A/C compressor & condenser replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would appreciate any help/input on how involved it is to replace compressor & condenser on 2016 Yukon Denali. My husband did this several years back and ended up disconnecting (and not fully reconnecting) a transmission fluid line...needless to say, it was a problem.
Now the compressor is shot again, repair shop says new compressor & condenser needed, ~$1200. The condenser is still under warranty, which I'd like to take advantage of, but the repair shop doesn't want to "deal with autozone parts". I get it, but not prepared for a $1200 repair bill this month and need to be able to take advantage of the warranty if/where possible.
Question is: how hard is this to do? Does it really require disconnecting transmission lines? Any videos/service bulletins that anyone knows of out there that could help? I'm guessing maybe he (the hubs) thought he had to disconnect the transmission lines to get in there to replace the A/C parts, but there is a trick to it so you don't have to? I haven't crawled around in there yet but trying to do my research first. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

OP
OP
D

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Realizing after some reading that the A/C condenser is also the transmission cooler. So you must disconnect/reconnect the lines to the transmission. Curious, do you lose some tranny fluid when you pull the lines off of the condenser/cooler to replace? My understanding is that the transmission is a "closed system" with no way to add fluid to it.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does require disconnecting the transmission lines. Fluid loss is minimal. If the condenser is empty of freon it will be relatively painless. You don't have to take off the front bumper, but the radiator needs to be loose to shove it out of the way to get the condenser out.
Edit: Plenty of info has been discussed about this. Use the search feature and you will come across the threads.

Last edited:

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my condenser replaced earlier this month after 8 years.2015 Tahoe LS.There are no GM OE condensers available in Canada,you have to use an aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019