99 Yukon starter question? --Moved from incorrect sub-forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for missing flywheel or convertor bolt, damage like that is not normal an can only be caused the something jamming inbetween the flywheel and starter.

I'm gonna get under her and see if anything looks off to me. I'm gonna have the guy who works on stuff I can't do, look at as well.
This is my 3rd starter in 8 years. The 1st one I changed and don't remember any damage to the housing. The 2nd and 3rd were done at PBoys and no mention of damage when they did the 2nd one..

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for missing flywheel or convertor bolt, damage like that is not normal an can only be caused the something jamming inbetween the flywheel and starter.

Like maybe a prybar PepBoys jammed in there to get it out?

Have them warranty the starter and see a professional.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, starter started crapping out already. It's spinning but not turning or engaging the flywheel. Tried a couple of times and she finally started and I can hear a definite rattle when I'm driving. Made another appointment for the morning with my mechanic. I was supposed to leave it today but had too much stuff to do.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Yukon up on the rack today and checked out the flywheel. No missing teeth but a few rough spots. I took, or tried to take a picture of the worst spot. It's blurry so it looks worse than it was.
picture.jpg
I was quoted prices of $710.00 and $600.00 to replace the flywheel. Lower price came from a transmission shop I never used, but came highly recommended.

I'm not sure what that gasket is where the starter and tranny meet, but don't recall it being there in 2004 when I changed the 1st starter myself.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
leave they flywheel for now and check for proper starter shimming.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

any cracks around the block mounting bosses?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude, drop that flywheel inspection plate! and find that bolt or whats left of it thats rattling around.
before it does Serious damage, to block trans pump, etc...

4 bolts and it drops, you might need to lower exhaust Y pipe tho... good excuse to put in fresh mani to pipe gaskets..

Last edited:
OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leave they flywheel for now and check for proper starter shimming.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

any cracks around the block mounting bosses?

Can i check the shim or is a machine needed for that? i didnt see anything else out of place, or that caught my attention.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

dude, drop that flywheel inspection plate! and find that bolt or whats left of it thats rattling around.
before it does Serious damage, to block trans pump, etc...

4 bolts and it drops, you might need to lower exhaust Y pipe tho... good excuse to put in fresh mani to pipe gaskets..

What I'm gonna do is have the transmission shop do the inspection for themselves. I'll mention the shim and dropping the flywheel inspection plate and check for a loose bolt as ezdaar mentioned. He said his inspection fee is deducted from any repairs needed.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the inspection plate off and found no loose bolts or anything. Wear on the teeth is about it. Starter that was put in Sunday had a bad bendix. When we took it off it was just flopping around, but no damage to the nose cone. Replacing the flywheel in the morning.
picture.jpg

Reading the bulletin Sunlit posted, and other threads, I have a question. Can this be caused by recent tune up? In May before my BB tune I had cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc. During my BBtune Justin thought he heard piston slap. Other threads suggest this is a timing issue or cracked rotor. I'm gonna check for the crank position code in the morning as well.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the code would normally pop up if it was continuous so check for stored codes. one way a screwy sensor would show up is when on a scan tool. compare your scan rpm to the tach in cab both signals com from different sources.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

You also could maybe program a starting mode retard in the pcm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dimi3

Latest posts