99 Yukon starter question? --Moved from incorrect sub-forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to start my truck today and the starter sounds like it's it just spinning. Not engaging the flywheel, no attempts at turning over. Yesterday morning the wife piece left the center overhead light on looking for something, so I tried to jump it. Nada, same spinning sound. I'm guessing my starter's bad, LOL! Anything else I should check before pulling it out? I have lights, horn, radio, etc.

I can honestly say that the last 3-4 times I started her up I thought the starter sounded funny. Like a drag or grinding sound. These have gear reduction starter's right?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
with or without a reduction are available.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

could have just broke the solenoid fork too.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with or without a reduction are available.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

could have just broke the solenoid fork too.

When I looked at them for sale the direct drive looked a lot bigger than the gear reduction. Also, is it worth it to try to replace just the solenoid?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
You're better off just replacing the whole thing...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
grab yourself up a gear reduction model. part of your solenoid seems to be working and unless you want to go searching for individual parts just get a whole unit.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Even the remanned units come with new solenoids nowadays.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Yukon starter? pictures added

Went to Pep Boys, I know I know, see what had happened was...I got stuck in Maryland on a Sunday about 2 years ago and they were the only place open. ANYHOO, since the starter was till under warranty I decided to save myself some time and let them honor their warranty. When I get the truck back they say my flywheel is bad and is eating the starter. I got some pics for a second opinion.

picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I could be wrong but you seem to be missing a chunk of metal housing around that gear. otherwise it does not look to bad. Pics of the flywheel?

And just in case this might apply:

Engine - No/Hard/Slow Start/Backfire/Kickback File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System
Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-014
Date: April, 2000
TECHNICAL
Subject:
No, Hard, or Slow Start, Backfire or "Kickback" During
Crank/Start, "Grinding" or Unusual Noises During Crank, DTC P0338
(Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor) Models:
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1995-2000 Chevrolet and GMC SIT Models
1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, M/L, G, P Models
1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4.3 L, 5.0 L, 5.7 L or 7.4 L Engine
(VINs W, X, M, R, J RPOs L35, LF6, L30, L31, L29) Condition:
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions: ^ Backfire during crank/start ^ "Kickback" during crank/start ^ "No" start ^ "Slow" or "hard" start/crank ^ "Grinding" or unusual noises during crank/start ^ Cracked or broken engine block at the starter boss ^ Broken starter drive housing ^ Broken starter ring gear on flywheel ^ Any combination of the above Cause:
A condition may exist that allows the crankshaft position sensor to command up to 50 extra degrees of spark advance during engine cranking only. This in turn exposes the engine to higher than normal cylinder pressures which may result in an inoperative condition to the starter drive housing, the engine flywheel starter ring gear, or the engine block at the outside edge of the starter boss. Correction:
Inspect for a stored powertrain DTC code P0338. This DTC will NOT illuminate the "Service Engine Soon" light. If this code is stored, the Crankshaft Position Sensor, P/N 10456607, MUST be replaced and the remaining components inspected for damage (engine block at the starter boss, the starter drive housing, and the engine flywheel starter ring gear). Notice : When DTC code P0338 is set, failure to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor could result in repeated inoperative conditions of the starter or flywheel. Important : Some flywheel wear is normal; broken or missing teeth and/or cracks, are not normal.

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's what Pep Boys said my flywheel is doing to the starter. It didn't sound right to me, which is why I took the pics. I had to go to work and wasn't there when they had everything off, so no pics of the flywheel. The tech said it wasn't showing any missing teeth, but I wasn't able to see it for myself.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunlit is correct.....the nose cone of the starter is completely broken off!!!!

The tip of the shaft goes into the nose cone. Without that cone, the shaft will deflect or flex. This will cause the teeth to skip and chew everything up.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for missing flywheel or convertor bolt, damage like that is not normal an can only be caused the something jamming inbetween the flywheel and starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON