99 tahoe cant shift to 4lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtneagle18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im new to 4x4s so maybe im missing something. Im trying to shift to 4lo and it keeps grinding. I can feel the gear in my shifter.(its a floor shift) i first tried it in neutral and then park and still grinding. The truck runs fine any other time. It used to work but it hasnt been run in a while. Ive read if the 4wd isnt used much it can rust or lock up. Im just not sure what to try next. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
first off are you letting the vehicle crawl slightly while in neutral when you range shift? check to make sure your linkage is adjusted properly with no slack in it. put in 4hi using the in cab handle. then get vehicle of the ground so as to fit underneath it. remove the linkage and make sure the lever on the tcase is shifted forward fully. that is the 4hi mode. adjust the link till the linkage ends align with the lever holes and reinstall. try 4lo again. it should have lubricant in it at all times so it won't rust out just because you don't use it often.make sure the oil level in the case is correctly filled with dexron 3.

OP
OP
M

mtneagle18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok thank you sir. I havent tried letting it roll so i'll try that first. If not I'll put it on the ramps this weekend and check the linkage.