99 Tahoe Z71 2nd gear start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedub

Reaction score
Hello all, My question is what is the starting out in 2nd gear all about? and why would they not let you manually shift to 1st gear, I've been putting my Tahoe in 4 low on the boat ramp because it would have a hard time pulling itself up the ramp, then I find out if I put in 2nd gear because the shifter wont go to 1st gear, it stays in 2nd gear??? why the hell would you want that? here's what I found online and it's not much, from a add and a form. thanks.

Transmission
The 4L60-E 4-Speed automatic transmission sports new seals and internal components that are designed to reduce friction and provide a longer life expectancy. It also has a deep transmission oil pan and an electronically controlled converter clutch that allows for gradual engagement of the torque converter for smoother driveability and increased fuel economy. Even with the enhanced, computer controlled slush box we found no problems with it “hunting” for gears in a myriad of on and off road situations. The tranny also has some other unique features such as Electronic Line Pressure Scheduling Software that adjusts pressure to the clutches base upon torque output of the engine for smoother, more consistent shifts. A second-gear start feature allows the vehicle to start off in second gear for slippery situations and they’ve even added long-life transmission fluid that is intended to last some 100,000 miles.
==============================================================================================
GM deliberately put a stop on the shifter on my 99 Tahoe to keep it out of 1st. I pulled the shifter out of it and compared it to the one I pulled off my Express van to put the Astro van tow/haul button equipped shifter on it. A slight grind with my dremel and the Tahoe had 1st.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 99 Tahoe and I recall that the gear selector on the cluster went PRND321 are you saying that yours doesn't have the 1?20180706_181021.jpg

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
Hello, no it has 1st on the gear selector, its PRN(D)321 it just won't let you manually shift all the way down to L1, only to L2 and if you put it in L2 that's all you get, it will start out in 2nd gear. so, I took the boat out again and left it in (D) on the way up the ramp and it started out in 1st gear no problem, so I guess that's what you do. just seems dumb that you can't manually put it in L1. thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan