99 denali onstar phone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 99 denali has the old fashioned corded phone installed in the center console. I want to remove it since it's useless and takes up a lot of space. I've tugged on the cable where it goes into the side of the console but it doesn't want to come loose. Is that a connector that can be unplugged? I'm hesitant to just cut the cord for fear of creating an electric problem. I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows about this. Thanks

OP
OP
N

nvsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here's the phone photo. I guess it was a dealer installed option. Also has a stubby antenna for the phone on the passenger side cargo area window. Kind of makes me think of the maxwell smart shoe phone. Anyway I've decided not to mess with it. I was considering installing a double din unit with Bluetooth and backup camera but from what I've been told there's no way to interface it with my factory 6 cd changer in the center console. My denali is so original that I hate to start modifying it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220207_113853653_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220207_113853653_HDR.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 10

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing is cool. I would leave it as is. It tells a story. These trucks are vintage. I have a CD player, a cigarette lighter, and a seat belt that won’t start chiming if I want to back down the driveway without it on. I just wished I kept my Motorola Startac cell phone in the glove box, to show the kids how cool dad was before the days of “Distracted Driving”.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing is cool. I would leave it as is. It tells a story. These trucks are vintage. I have a CD player, a cigarette lighter, and a seat belt that won’t start chiming if I want to back down the driveway without it on. I just wished I kept my Motorola Startac cell phone in the glove box, to show the kids how cool dad was before the days of “Distracted Driving”.
Great minds think alike :)

That phone was pretty high-tech back in the day. Add 30 minutes to your cell phone plan and get an AOL CD in the mail and you’d be set!

Otherwise, if it doesn’t power on then it may be disconnected already. That black console box or liner, if it’s like the non-Denali, may just pull out so you can see what’s under there. Grab the edges and see if it lifts out.

As you mentioned, it would’ve been a dealer add-on or, probably more likely, something that a cell phone store did as that was pretty common. Anticipate some marginal wire splices in that case.

Last edited:

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say leave it too. It's sick! Next time maybe don't post a pic with so much identifying information in it? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt