99 2DR NP246 'Stuck' with noises coming from Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fresh rebuilt NP246. After switching to 4Hi and hearing a ping or pop from the case, it is 'stuck' in 4Hi an will not return to 2WD or 4Lo. New switch was installed along with new encoder motor at the time of install. Usually ran it in 4Hi for a little bit every week to move things around - but this time it seems to have gotten stuck. When pressing the 2WD button on the switch, there are 4 audible clicks along with the sound of the encoder motor perhaps? trying to operate. After the 4th click the light on the switch stops blinking and remains in 4Hi. Truck drives and doesn't 'feel' as though it's in 4WD.

I recorded a short youtube video of the noises. Any thoughts?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would probably remove the encoder motor and see if I could shift the T/C manually back into 2wd, neutral, etc., or if the shift shaft will even move. That might tell you if it's a weak encoder motor or something inside the T/C.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with remove encoder to test tcase shifting. Driving with disconnected encoder ok for test. You can "run" the encoder while mechanically disconnected from tcase with a ground wire alligator clipped to tcase and encoder. Sometimes have to do it to find the "home" spot for installation.

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My tcase was stuck in 4Hi or 4lo I can't remember, but I could hear the Tcase motor and a clunk noise trying to disengage, but It would not come out of 4HI. I ended up jacking up the back tires off the ground I pushed 2HI and it worked. I don't even hear any clunk from your video but I thought to at least share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts