Move Transfer Case encoder motor to 2wd???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my TX case. When I pulled it, I had it in 4HI. After cycling power to vehicle w/o encoder motor on the computer went to 2HI mode.

Now if I turn the TX case to 4HI position then install the encoder motor, the computer thinks it's in 2HI, when the transfer case is actually in 4HI.

I am not sure what to do... Is there a way to manually turn the encoder motor to a different position?

Notes from service manual:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get the cover off. Saw a few videos with that style encoder motor, mine is slightly different. It's GLUED like a SOB. I tried like hell to separate the case halves where the encoder is and couldn't do it. However, I got the cover off the motor, took the motor off and spun the shaft.

Still having troubles though. I believe I'm supposed to reinstall with transfer case in Neutral. Cannot figure out which detent / where gear selector needs to be for neutral on the TX case.

I've go the computer set to neutral though... Just cannot figure out on the tx case.

THanks for the help :) I really appreciate it!

This is all factory service manual says :(

• If the motor encoder assembly is being replaced because it is defective, make sure that the transfer case is in the neutral position. Manually shift the unit at the shift shaft. Use a crescent wrench if necessary.
  • When installing the motor encoder unit to the transfer case, make sure that the transfer case is indexed properly and it is flat against the transfer case before tightening the mounting bolts.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't get the cover off. Saw a few videos with that style encoder motor, mine is slightly different. It's GLUED like a SOB. I tried like hell to separate the case halves where the encoder is and couldn't do it. However, I got the cover off the motor, took the motor off and spun the shaft.

Still having troubles though. I believe I'm supposed to reinstall with transfer case in Neutral. Cannot figure out which detent / where gear selector needs to be for neutral on the TX case.

I've go the computer set to neutral though... Just cannot figure out on the tx case.

THanks for the help :) I really appreciate it!

This is all factory service manual says :(

• If the motor encoder assembly is being replaced because it is defective, make sure that the transfer case is in the neutral position. Manually shift the unit at the shift shaft. Use a crescent wrench if necessary.
  • When installing the motor encoder unit to the transfer case, make sure that the transfer case is indexed properly and it is flat against the transfer case before tightening the mounting bolts.

@rockola1971 may know.

It's a bit foggy to me but I have in my mind that it's the middle detent position of the T/C shaft.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With power applied push neutral switch on dash. Turn encoder shaft on Tcase all the way right or left (your choice) and click back one position at a time while manually trying to turn front driveshaft output yoke on Tcase. When you find that you can completely turn the front driveshaft freely you are now in Neutral. Any other position and you will be essentially trying to move the vehicle by turning the driveshaft by hand (2wd, 4HI, 4LO) which is rather hard to do.

Or...

If you are working on your 2001 NP246 (which is a little different from the NP246E) you will see on the encoder shaft of the Tcase that it is keyed with a half moon. The rest of the shaft is completely round. Neutral is the half moon at 6 oclock.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it all put back together. I've never played with Tcase / neutral setting. What is that for? Towing the vehicle? What happens if you have TX case in neutral then put the transmission in drive... Does the transmission output then free spin like you'd think? I know is a bit of a dumb question. Does it literally remove torque on both output shafts?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it all put back together. I've never played with Tcase / neutral setting. What is that for? Towing the vehicle? What happens if you have TX case in neutral then put the transmission in drive... Does the transmission output then free spin like you'd think? I know is a bit of a dumb question. Does it literally remove torque on both output shafts?
Tcase in neutral with tranny in a gear yields the same thing as the tranny in neutral. Neutral in Tcase is for being towed or because it is a requirement to go into neutral (Tcase) first BEFORE you can get into 4lo. This keeps geniuses from traveling 60MPH down the highway and slamming Tcase into 4Lo which would drop your Tcase and most of your tranny down onto the road when 60MPH is multiplied to the equivalent of 300MPH instantaneously....via the gear reduction in your Tcase while in 4LO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic