97 yukon radio gremlins, help please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon territory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lost trying to figure this out without ripping everything apart. For about a year my factory radio has been acting up. It would be working fine then all of a sudden the radio cuts off but the buttons still are lit up. Then it comes back on. The display went out too when this happened and speakers popped but as I said the buttons stayed lit. At some moment it popped back on and stayed on for awhile, then popped off again. Well it finally stayed off not coming back on for the last month or so but the red security light started blinking on the radio which never has since I owned the truck. Radio buttons still light up. Then last night my slave cd player kept making ejecting sounds with the truck off and keys out all night and drained my battery. Stopped it by pulling fuse 19. Any suggestions? Planned on getting another radio but don't want to if it's another problem.

CSX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Potential wiring/ground issue? Is the external CD player a factory unit or aftermarket? In either event, have you tried disconnecting it to ensure that it's not the cause of the radio issue?

To me, without knowing anything else, it sounds like either a) some wiring is loose or b) you have a bad ground, which could be a loose grounding point or an exposed wire causing intermittent shorts, either of which would cause the power to cut out seemingly randomly.

Do these issues happen only when you're driving, or does the stereo cut out and things act up even when you're parked?

OP
OP
Y

yukon territory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi CSX,
everything is factory... head unit and slave cd player. I haven't tore out the radio yet to check wiring yet, it has been too cold where i live to work on my truck without a heated garage. 10 deg down to -30 deg on average since new years. Also it acted up just being parked also. as of now the radio doesn't work at all, no display or sound but the buttons do light up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401