97 yukon door hinges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricTapio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum and looking for advice.
I recently purchased a 97 two door yukon and have been restoring and customizing it. Im looking to replace my door hinge pins which i already purchased. However once looking closer at my hinges i noticed the roller pin and head is whats causing the issue. The roller pin head is bent at an extreme angle on both doors which has angled the face of the door strap that stops the door in half open and fully open. The piece which the spring pushes against to keep it pressed against the roller head. So my question is i can purchase the roller pin but what to do about the now sloped/deformed door strap? Replace the roller pin and smooth the angle out with a dremel or die grinder? This may remove to much material and no longer contact the roller head. Or purchase new hinge assemblies and install or cannabilize for the needed parts. Not sure if the new hinges will come apart to get the door strap section i may need to replace. I've read drilling the welds from the old hinge and bolting in a new hinge is a pretty involved job. Any help or advice is appreciated!

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post some pictures of the faulty part? I can almost envision what your saying, but I'd like to look at it before making any suggestions.

Lancem

Reaction score
Replacing the roller pin is a PITA, I would replace the pin and not worry about the strap, it will wear flat eventually. Changing the hinge is a PITA also, done both. On my one truck I just removed the spring and don't worry about it. I highly recommend getting the special drivers to remove and install the hinge pins, makes the job a thousand times easier, and the spring compressor too.

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Manufa...709805&sr=8-3&keywords=gm+door+hinge+pin+tool

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Manufa...709805&sr=8-3&keywords=gm+door+hinge+pin+tool

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rollers and such were getting bad on my 97. alot of noise and binding. i took a pry bar and my maul and just knocked them off the 2 front doors. doors dont stay open but atleast my doors dont sound like a haunted house now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094