6.6 Duramax engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If people dont know how to take care of their diesels, then they shouldn't have them. The HD diesels in the new trucks are meant to be worked, that's where they do what they were made to do...Work. Having an HD diesel as a short distance runner, not a good thing. I think a great DD diesel is the VW TDi, or the new MBZ bluetec. Look at Europe, they have more diesel options because people want them for the economy and power. I have waited a long time for Dodge or GM to offer a diesel in a 1/2ton.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone having these issues but maybe everyone I know is lucky. Your clients either have the worst luck or have no idea what they are doing with a diesel. If I remember correctly I was getting around 19-20 mpg range so I guess I am seeing the poor mileage during dpf delete thing. With all that being said do I like urea or the dpf? No. They can easily be tuned out and then you're left with a left with all the good and none of the bad.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone having these issues but maybe everyone I know is lucky. Your clients either have the worst luck or have no idea what they are doing with a diesel. If I remember correctly I was getting around 19-20 mpg range so I guess I am seeing the poor mileage during dpf delete thing. With all that being said do I like urea or the dpf? No. They can easily be tuned out and then you're left with a left with all the good and none of the bad.

100% correct. Most people that buy theae things have no idea how to take care of them and then get stuck with the bill when the insanely expensive parts fail.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
i have an 06..out side of some stupid electrical problems my truck runs like a champ. 145k.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with Brutus on this, and have been told several times. get the pre 07 dmax. But thats not to say the newer models cant be modified and fixed to be good. Its just that when you buy something that new you expect it to already work, and not have to modify anything.... but ohh well we have to thank the EPA for that. And pay for expensive replacement parts through the dealer.

my dream truck will be a 01-05 dmax. It will be modded by me ofcourse and will include 0 emissions junk. and heck it may even be a stick shift which is not a option anymore. Damn the EPA

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I have heard that the 6.6 Duramax engine is not reliable.
Is this true?
Planning on getting my "wife" a pick-up truck, which she wants herself.
Should I rather go for the 5.3 Vortec?

Not reliable? that must be a joke, its more reliable than the other 2 manufacturers I would say. It has the best drivetrain you can get in a pickup period. If you are look for bulletproof combo and mpg.

The wife wants a diesel I would get her one. Or swap the Tahoe with her.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im with Brutus on this, and have been told several times. get the pre 07 dmax. But thats not to say the newer models cant be modified and fixed to be good. Its just that when you buy something that new you expect it to already work, and not have to modify anything.... but ohh well we have to thank the EPA for that. And pay for expensive replacement parts through the dealer.

my dream truck will be a 01-05 dmax. It will be modded by me ofcourse and will include 0 emissions junk. and heck it may even be a stick shift which is not a option anymore. Damn the EPA

So you think that the 01-05's were better? Several thousand dollar injector replacement jobs sounds way better than emissions... Two friends of mine both have 05 duramax's, one had to do around $2k (just in parts) on one of his repairs and the other has been trouble free. My point is some are great and some have problems, that is true for all years.

david98

Reaction score
dmax's r great (like everyone says just have to take care of them). i drove a 01 for work every day and an 05. Just have to watch out 01-04 had injecter issues and 05-06 had head gaskets and torque convert problems. If a guy knows what he doin with them they'll go for a millon miles.

OP
OP
Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! :) I see this thread really took off. Most of the time my threads are slow.
Anyways, it is true that diesels are more popular her in Norway and all over Scandinavia.
Here in Norway diesel is cheaper than petrol, they consume less fuel, and they have lower taxes because they thought they polluted less. (They now know they were wrong.)

I see there are many different thoughts about which one to choose, but in my opinion, american cars should be with petrol engines. And let all other car manufacturers build their diesels. Though I do not doubt you guys also makes excellent diesel engines. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack