6.6 Gas L8T Engine Swap in 2015 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Hello all! My 2015 Suburban is currently dead. 186k miles with a collapsed lifter and a VERY tired transmission. Current plan was to refresh the engine with non-AFM parts, and go back with a GM reman 6l80 transmission. However, I am recently seeing a lot of information about the L8T engine, which is the 6.6 liter gas engine that GM is using in its HD truck applications.

I have read that this engine has no AFM/DOD/DFM systems on it, and is tuned to run on 87 octane with HP around 400, and TQ around 440. Research also shows that this engine bolts directly to a 6L80 transmission.

When looking at dollars vs dollars, I would be nearly the same money to swap a sub 10k miles 6.6 gas engine w/6L80 in my Suburban as opposed to freshening up my 186k mile 5.3 and going with a reman GM 6L80.

Does anyone here have any insight on this or otherwise informed opinions? I am leaning heavily towards going this route, unless there is just some massive deal breaker with compatibility of the 6.6 in my Suburban.

Thanks in advance!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but it sounds cool as heck!

There's some guys that have used the factory 6.6 gas engine crankshaft straight from parts dealerships (it's a forged crank) into their 6.0 blocks to make like a stroker from GM factory parts.

I guess the only downfall is that it's direct injected. But the aftermarket guys have figured out how to swap the intake for a port injection. That's probably more for like a swap vehicle that didn't have direct injection.

OP
OP
L8T BURB

L8T BURB

Reaction score
No, but it sounds cool as heck!

There's some guys that have used the factory 6.6 gas engine crankshaft straight from parts dealerships (it's a forged crank) into their 6.0 blocks to make like a stroker from GM factory parts.

I guess the only downfall is that it's direct injected. But the aftermarket guys have figured out how to swap the intake for a port injection. That's probably more for like a swap vehicle that didn't have direct injection.
My research suggests that both the 5.3 L83 and the 6.6 L8T are both direct injected. So maybe that part won't be an issue?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to swap in the 6.6L direct injected V8 for a 5.3L direct injected V8?

If so, you should get in touch with a pcm tuner.
It's not quite as simple as we'd all be hoping, but any tuner competent with segment swapping should be able to make this doable.

OP
OP
L8T BURB

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Are you trying to swap in the 6.6L direct injected V8 for a 5.3L direct injected V8?

If so, you should get in touch with a pcm tuner.
It's not quite as simple as we'd all be hoping, but any tuner competent with segment swapping should be able to make this doable.
This is correct. I am eyeing a full engine/transmission dropout from a 2021 Silverado 2500 to put in my 2015 Suburban. I found that HP Tuners has in fact cracked the ECM of those engines, which gives me more faith that this may be an attainable swap.

I am awaiting the green light from my technician. If he says yes, I will be purchasing the engine and transmission this weekend.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that this engine has no AFM/DOD/DFM systems on it, and is tuned to run on

When looking at dollars vs dollars, I would be nearly the same money to swap a sub 10k miles 6.6 gas engine w/6L80 in my Suburban as opposed to freshening up my 186k mile 5.3 and going with a reman GM 6L80.

I don’t have any specific technical knowledge to contribute here.

But I really like where this thread is going!

And for these 2 reasons above that I quoted from the OP are strong logical reasons that support why you should pull the trigger and make it happen.

I would maybe look into what model PCM and TCM the 6.6 L8T runs on? Compare that to the PCM & TCM in your 2015 Suburban.

Questions:
Can you run your current PCM/TCM with the 6.6 L8T and just have it tuned appropriately?

If yes; Then on the surface I’d say you should be good to go.

Would you have to swap your PCM and TCM to a different model for the 6.6 L8T than what’s in your ‘15 Suburban now?

If yes; Then the swap may prove to be more difficult than it sounds.

OP
OP
L8T BURB

L8T BURB

Reaction score
If your technician is not HPTuners-literate, be prepared to seek out another tuner.
I've lucked up on this technician. He is the one who turned me on to HP tuners, so I'm hoping it'll be smooth.

A couple things I'm seeing that I had not previously accounted for...

The L8T engine uses a hydraulic power steering system rather than electronic on the Suburban. Would it be easy to ditch it for electronic, or better to convert my Suburban to hydraulic?

Also I noticed the L8T has a mechanical cooling fan that's driven by belt rather than the electronic cooling fan on my Suburban. Any idea if this would be an issue?

The engine/trans I'm looking at comes with all accessory drive components as well as ECM. It's as complete as an engine swap could be.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan shouldn’t be too big of a deal. That should be able to be converted to electric fans with GM OEM parts and a relay pretty easily. You should get with your technician/tuner on doing so.

In fact if your electric fans on your 5.3 pull enough CFM to accomodate cooling the 6.6 maybe your technician/tuner could whip up a harness and relay to reuse your current electric fan set up for the swap?

OP
OP
L8T BURB

L8T BURB

Reaction score
I am also interfacing with someone on the HP tuners forum who has successfully done this swap on a Sierra Denali 1500. This was his response...

It will be an awesome swap. My daily is a 2016 Sierra Denali with a 6.6L swap. If you can get the complete engine, that would be the way to go. In your case, you can use your original ECM and wiring harness. You'll just have to swap your original 4 pin fuel rail sensor instead of the 3 pin sensor on the L8T.
The vacuum pump will have to be deleted as well, since the L8T doesn't have mounting provisions. That's an easy job as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10