6.2L Engine... What gas are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skeee1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I only use 93 and up. But I have a Diablo Tuner with a custom tune. I have a 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2L. I shipped her down to Puerto Rico with my 12'x6' tandem axle trailer when I sold my Boston, MA house. I am getting horrendous 11-13 MPG here. Luckily I only do about 250 miles a month.

foxie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here in the UK we've only just got E10 (95 octane) our usual fuel is E5 (97 octane) and zero ethanol 99 octane is somewhat readily available, at a price !, and run this in my C6 Z06. My '10 Yukon Denali runs very well on E10 which would be expected. Its a 6.2 flex fuel and I think we're many years from E85 here. In fact we're banning sales of new petrol or diesel cars by 2030 !!

E5 is about $7.60 a gallon (US) But luckily I don't rack up the miles and have been used to poor milage from owning a number of US guzzlers

hunterxx12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Besides octane, the only other reason to run premium fuel in a vehicle that doesn't require it is that in some cases (read - not all) that the additives added to the gasoline are at a higher treat rate than those added to regular unleaded. These additives have properties that can aid in cleaning, lubricity, corrosion, and combustion to name a few.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you liking the Duramax performance? Did you tune it to increase boost or keeping it stock?
Going to keep it stock for duration of the warranty. It is a super smooth engine and has none of the turbo lag that my previous diesels had. Moves this vehicle along very smartly. Not a 6.2 by any means, but the mileage and range are far superior. Loves to hum on interstates at 90 mph and still get 25 mpg….one of the best road trip vehicles Ive owned…

K Whitman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious if anyone has been using regular gas 87 on their 6.2L V8? If so, how has the engine been so far. Any feedback is well appreciated.

I travel alot and with constant increase in price its getting very expensive. Does regular gas hurts the engine. (I understand performance and gas mileage do hurt alittle. Thanks
I have a 2019 RST 6.2L .... GREAT GREAT truck.... very fast, hot truck and I drive it mainly at HIGH speed highway driving ... and am getting 17 - 18.5 mpg.... and only use high octane... My feeling is that the engine is more Corvette and should only use the highest.

stevedonato

Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious if anyone has been using regular gas 87 on their 6.2L V8? If so, how has the engine been so far. Any feedback is well appreciated.

I travel alot and with constant increase in price its getting very expensive. Does regular gas hurts the engine. (I understand performance and gas mileage do hurt alittle. Thanks
Current cars/trucks have 'Knock sensors' which eliminates any knocking. I happen to have a Lexus big sedan that supposed to require Premium Gas. I have been running it for 5 years on Regular 87 octane gas. No issues at all.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current cars/trucks have 'Knock sensors' which eliminates any knocking. I happen to have a Lexus big sedan that supposed to require Premium Gas. I have been running it for 5 years on Regular 87 octane gas. No issues at all.
You may or may not get away with this...but, as was posted above, under certain conditions, the computer can't affect the timing enough to eliminate the knocking (pre-detonation), and you can do real engine damage. Reality is, 6.2 is built w/ compression ratio high enough that Premium is needed...Margins are higher at higher elevations on 87...sea level (or death valley) would almost demand the premium.

Reaction score
Knock sensors aren't magic and don't predict knock.

The engine has to have knock for the sensor to detect it then adjust the timing to stop it.

Damage has already been done, even if just slight, could add up to bigger problems eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM