6.2L Engine Wait Times...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire market won't be all electric in 2035, but according to Mary Barra GM will be for all vehicles up to light duty (which includes up to 1500). 2500 and up may still be ICE.

She backpedaled from that recently. I thought.

Regardless, unless you see a significant increase in electric generation capacity soon, there is no way to meet that goal…simply not enough kWh available to replace all that petroleum energy in the fleet.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Regardless, unless you see a significant increase in electric generation capacity soon, there is no way to meet that goal…simply not enough kWh available to replace all that petroleum energy in the fleet.
+1. And that's only one of the issues. Another equal or greater issue is the more than half of Americans who don't have a garage at their residence and either park on the street or in a parking lot or large shared garage. They're not going to drag a 50A cord containing $200 in copper across the sidewalk and leave it out all night to charge their cars. Nor do I think they'll they spend 30+ minutes at a charging station a few times a week.

malba2366

Reaction score

You are right, it probably won't happen in 2035, but I find it very interesting that GM has decided to spend what will end up being over $1 billion on a new small block engine family. No other automakers are spending money to design entirely new engine families, instead they are modifying existing designs and adding hybrid motors. I think it is very reasonable to expect that California and the states that follow will not back off on their EV mandates, so there will be ICE bans in place in 2035 in some very significant markets. While these places may not be huge volume markets for GM trucks, I would be willing to bet that these areas, which contain many of the most affluent parts of the nation, are very significant for the most profitable, loaded up trims of the pickups and SUVs (Denalis, Escalade etc.)

To me the fact that GM is spending so much to develop the "Gen 6 Small Block" suggests that they know that they can not fix the problems with their current cylinder deactivation system and this is what spurred them to design an entirely new engine family which will not show up until around 2026.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700