6.2L Engine Wait Times...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not if he is selling 300 of them a week...would be back to the 1% discussion
Dude, it's not even just a conspiracy that these engines are failing at increasing rates. It's reality in my area too, and likely all areas where they are sold. I inspect for extended warranty claims, and I see them in the shop. I converse with techs if I see them, ask what's wrong. I don't inspect them though, you know why? They're too new to be covered by an extended warranty when they're still covered under the factory warranty.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's not even just a conspiracy that these engines are failing at increasing rates. It's reality in my area too, and likely all areas where they are sold. I inspect for extended warranty claims, and I see them in the shop. I converse with techs if I see them, ask what's wrong. I don't inspect them though, you know why? They're too new to be covered by an extended warranty when they're still covered under the factory warranty.
I agree that they are failing...never said they were not. All I am trying to figure out is what the failure rate is...data I have from people who claim to know, is it is a 1% problem...which may be higher than GM's historic rate...

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but my 2 local GM dealers are seeing a 4-9% failure rate. Both dealers have a dedicated commercial department as well.

I think that me being in farm, and oil drilling, country is why it might be a higher %.

malba2366

Reaction score
Not if he is selling 300 of them a week...would be back to the 1% discussion
You find a 1% catastrophic engine failure rate to be within normal limits for an automobile in 2024? We are talking about failures at low mileage/relatively new vehicles, not a rebuild after 100,000 miles.

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the failure rates are, IMHO it should be in the decimal points. Replacements cost $$$, and cut into profits. It would be interesting to see what the rates are across the industry for engines, transmissions, and what the average wait times are for them to swap them out. I use to think it was a single manufacturer, but it isn't, and IMHO the failures are probably related to the individual parts manufacturers, who manufacture parts for just about every brand and the reason it's so widespread. QC definitely needs to be improved.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You find a 1% catastrophic engine failure rate to be within normal limits for an automobile in 2024? We are talking about failures at low mileage/relatively new vehicles, not a rebuild after 100,000 miles.
Welcome to the bullschit "new normal" severe dumbing down of society.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know what GM or any of the other MFGs limits are…but, what I was told was 1% was in the limits. There is a cost of quality calculation; and if the margins are up on the vehicles, the MFG can afford more defects and more warranty cost.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1% may be acceptable to GM, but I’d bet 100% of the 1% will never buy one again and the PR they spread will negatively affect most all the potential buyers they talk with…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts