6.2L active fuel management and lifer/cam failures. Oil Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 RST Performance Package that came with the 6.2L.

From what I've been reading the lifter failure is a by product from poor oil and too long between changes. Using the on board oil life indicator to queue up oil changes leads to this failure.

So, those that have had this issue what oil did you use and how long did you go between changes?

Same question for those that have not had this failure.

Side question, any one using the Range Tech AFM disabler?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my AFM disabled through an ECM performance tune by Blackbear Performance.

I believe that folks on this Forum recommend oil changes between 3000 and 5000 miles.

Other folks will chime in with their perspectives and recommendations.

gary645

Reaction score

From what I've been reading the lifter failure is a by product from poor oil and too long between changes. Using the on board oil life indicator to queue up oil changes leads to this failure.

So, those that have had this issue what oil did you use and how long did you go between changes?

Have 2015.5 Denali with 49K miles. Using Mobile 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 and Fram XG10575 Ultra Synthetic filter. Change at 20% or about 7 K miles. So far no issues.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased Range AFM disabler before I took delivery of 2019 Yukon Denali in April. It's been plugged in 24/7 since then and no problems at all after 5,500 miles.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 2019 is AFM and exhaust flapper free through Callaway. I'm using Mobile 1 0-20 as well and am changing oil once I'm past 50% on the onboard oil life indicator. I drive a lot of short trips as well so the calendar is probably even more important than the miles.

OP
OP
Cantrepeat

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
I found a Melling technical bulletin that discusses the lifter failure and the cause.

It talks about the filter in the VLOM getting dirty as one cause that leads to missed timing in latching and delatching the lifter causing the collapse.

I was also told by a GM mechanic that 2019s don't have this filter. The one under the oil pressure unit on the back of the VLOM.

Attachments

• Melling-tech-bulletin-on-GM-LS-Deactivation-Lifter-Issues-3.1.18-1.pdf
    242.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a Melling technical bulletin that discusses the lifter failure and the cause.

It talks about the filter in the VLOM getting dirty as one cause that leads to missed timing in latching and delatching the lifter causing the collapse.

I was also told by a GM mechanic that 2019s don't have this filter. The on under the oil pressure unit on the back of the VLOM.
Great information!

OP
OP
Cantrepeat

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
To add to this, the 2019 L86 LT1, maybe more years then 2019 in the Tahoe, doesn't have the filter like older VLOMs did.

Here is a cutaway of the L86. It seems they've had some upgrades to include new heads and VLOM.

I still installed the Ranger AFM disabler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali