6.2 to 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time justifying spending $600 for autocal

But you're ok spending a lot more on an engine swap?

You said it's not a daily driver. Do some math to figure out how much you'd save in gas switching out the motor, compare to the cost of the swap, and I guarantee your ROI would be well over 10 years.

The Denali can run on midgrade or even regular. Just keep an ear out for pinging/detonation.

Or, if you really want to have fun, throw in some E85 and watch the mileage plummet to about 7-8.

Basics

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW, kind’ve off topic but I think 2wd mode versus AWD or auto mode affects your mpg’s just as much. City/hwy combined, It’s about a 2 mpg difference, which is noticeable for me when your under 15 mpg. Not sure what your options are in that regard

Reaction score
Had a 5.3 in my 2007 Suburban, my 2015 Yukon XL 6.2 gets better mileage in every category. Plus it can pull a trailer at highway speed.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
FWIW, kind’ve off topic but I think 2wd mode versus AWD or auto mode affects your mpg’s just as much. City/hwy combined, It’s about a 2 mpg difference, which is noticeable for me when your under 15 mpg. Not sure what your options are in that regard

I don't believe the Denalis have the ability to select 2wd.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Had a 5.3 in my 2007 Suburban, my 2015 Yukon XL 6.2 gets better mileage in every category. Plus it can pull a trailer at highway speed.

Kind of apples to oranges since the '15 is an LT engine instead of an LS.

volfan84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
a custom tune will definitely make it not a pig anymore and bring the gas mileage up with you drive it right. my 08 escalade has a cam, headers, cai, and tune and it's constantly gets 13-14. i do drive a lot of highway but i don't drive it easy. its awd too

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Do you pull any boats or trailers with it. If I did I would want the 6.2. My 2012 5.3 gets 15 to 16 in city and 18 to 20 on highway. Now I have done some things to mine that may have helped out a little. That in mind if you load it down with people and pull a big boat, the 6.2 with some upgrades would be my engine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the Denalis have the ability to select 2wd.

K2s are selectable, not full time AWD anymore like GMT900.

Depending on the cost, running E85 may cost less per mile in city driving.

My truck runs more efficient in heavy city driving and idling on E85 compared with 93 octane gasoline. It also gets better mpgs while towing on E85 in the city.

The tune is worth the price of the AutoCal or you could take a drive down to Baton Rouge and drive back with a 5.3! I'm sure Chris will let you sleep in his barn while he swaps the engines! LOL