6.2 Lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guy's I've got a 2012 Yukon Denali with 93k miles all stock. Long story short #4 exhaust lifter went to shit and now I'm pulling the engine to give it a tune up. Ive called Brian Tooley Racing and texas speed to get an idea of what they recommend as far as cam and mods go. BTR says the stage 2 truck cam with AFM/DOD/VVT delete. Texas speed says AFM/DOD delete and keep the VVT with stage 1.2 cam. Any guys have any experience or recommend one over the other? Keep in mind this is a daily driver for my wife but I do want to gain some power without tearing the shit out of the rest of the drivetrain.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any guys have any experience or recommend one over the other? Keep in mind this is a daily driver for my wife but I do want to gain some power without tearing the shit out of the rest of the drivetrain.

If I had to pick, I’d go with Texas Speeds recommendation. The VVT is not a bad thing and will help with fuel economy a little. Getting rid of AFM is good.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of a flatter TQ curve, so my vote is to keep VVT. BUT, this depends on the actual specs of the two cams. The BTR cam may sacrifice a tiny bit of low end by deleting the VVT, but may return considerably larger mid- and upper-range power, or totally vice versa. The TSP cam may maintain the flatter TQ curve, but not return as much power. Gotta compare more than just "Stage 2" and with or without VVT.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daily drivers are a 6.2 and a 6.0. The 6.2 has VVT while the 6.0 does not. I feel the difference between the 2 and I can say I would never get rid of VVT. The 6.0 pulls strong and I love it, but it feels...dull... as the rpm's climb, but the 6.2 feels like it just gets better and better as the needle gets up to 6k. The VVT gives you the best of both worlds, and I can't wait to upgrade mine to a stage 2 VVT someday soon.

OP
OP
D

Dustin M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I’ll call Texas speed and get the vvt headed this way.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep the VVT. It gets the torque down low where you need it in big vehicle like these. The Texas Speed cam is what I plan to use if either of ours wind up needing a cam or lifters.

Last edited:

John Root

Reaction score
09 was a really bad year for GM trucks. Somebody engineered some lifters that saved the company a few bucks, I figure. That'll cost em. I recall considering a multi-page thread with a few '09's smoking out the area with less than 2k miles on the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo