6.2 gas vs. 3.0 Duramax, which one to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yet you’re still saying I said things I didn’t. Absolutely hilarious. Try taking off your bias and read all my posts again. Maybe the you’ll actually understand the things I’ve said because everything you say I said is so far off base it isn’t even funny. I never said the Germans do it better, I said their suspensions aren’t crashy. My gosh you cannot read.

Sure, the older ones have problems. I’ve yet to see where I said they didn’t. But a 5 minute search doesn’t pull up a sea of threads on low mileage trucks all needing new engines. Not even in the K2 trucks!

It is totally fine that you don’t want an older vehicle, but just say that. Someone has to waste their money buying it new so I can buy used (not that I will ever be buying of these used, just to be clear). If you want a new vehicle and don’t GAF about how much it costs or anything else, go for it. It’s your money. That being said, that doesn’t make anything I’ve said not the truth because you don’t want to hear it and no matter how much you twist it to say something I never said. I’m not the only person in the world who thinks these newer trucks are insanely overpriced for the quality you get.
Maybe I'm reading someone else's posts..or maybe you mean something different than what you post. Or maybe you are making generalizations using a small study sample.

As for issues happening early you do realize that when things fail the likely hood of it failing sooner is higher than later from a production stand point ?

I literally pointed out everything you said and quoted it yet now your saying you don't mean those things? It's like the twilight zone.

I guess 100 posts about issues mean the production run of over 100k units every year since 2021 means they are all lemons. Good logic there.

I'm also pressing all over my wife's yukon to make it creak and Crack but I guess mine doesn't exhibit the issues your talking about. Must be a fluke. Just went thru Atlanta and didn't feel the crashyness....but guess that's a fluke too.. have 15k miles on it and put the cheapest def I can find in it but no errors... probably a fluke too.

Thankfully my wife's yukon is solid but by your logic it'd a fluke...gonna go play the lottery now and test my luck there....

Still curious to what your fond of? What is your vehicle of choice? 1991 camaro rs?

I'm not blind to issues either. We all know lifters on 6.2, but even that by the numbers is less than a few percent of total production. Look at other generations. They all have failing lifters. 10 speed is solid. Other generations all have way more transmission issues. Creaks and rattles? Maybe the occasional one here but far far from the norm. Look at other generations. Good luck. Crashyness? Don't think ive heard that ever except for some 22inch and performance models complaining of a stiff ride. Evaporator cores? Have not seen or heard of that until you mentioned it. I enjoy a good discussion but let's stick to the facts here.

You work at a dealer in ga? If you do I probably know all the people around you.

To get back to the OP the 6.2 is solid but has potential lifter issues. It's the performance choice no doubt. The duramax is much better on gas. Has much less chance of failures so far but does require a bit more maintained but nothing crazy.

Not really a bad choice either way.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am talking facts, I’ve seen it personally and then see tons of owners and other techs online experiencing the exact same things. You haven’t quoted anything I actually said, you twisted everything I said into your own words that were completely different from what I said.

You're not interested in a good discussion because the only facts are what you say and anyone who thinks or has experienced something different is wrong and a liar.

Try a Google search to see what crashy suspension is.

I’m not going to keep going round and round with you because you think I’m wrong. Some agree with me and some agree with you. It’s your money do what you want and so will the OP. My only parting advice is to buy the warranty.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am talking facts, I’ve seen it personally and then see tons of owners and other techs online experiencing the exact same things. You haven’t quoted anything I actually said, you twisted everything I said into your own words that were completely different from what I said.

You're not interested in a good discussion because the only facts are what you say and anyone who thinks or has experienced something different is wrong and a liar.

Try a Google search to see what crashy suspension is.

I’m not going to keep going round and round with you because you think I’m wrong. Some agree with me and some agree with you. It’s your money do what you want and so will the OP. My only parting advice is to buy the warranty.
Me too. Seen way too much. Was hoping to get your idea of a good vehicle you'd be proud to call your own.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re going to be disappointed because there really isn’t anything new I’m dying to buy. I think quality across all brands is crap now because all the manufactures realized people will pay over sticker price to get new cars, even though the quality isn’t as good and even if if features have been removed. I think everything is unnecessarily complicated now and pretty high risk to own outside of warranty. All these gimmicky features that are nice, sure, but far from necessary. All these modules that are one-time burn to cut out buying used parts and GM discontinuing everything on 5 year old vehicles is disgusting business practice. I’ve always loved GM products despite the lower quality but the way GM does not support the vehicles they sell for very long any more is a huge turn off and likely the reason I consider other brands.

I’m not a new car buyer, if you can’t tell. I don’t see the value in it and I never have. The depreciation lost in the first 3 years of ownership is insane. Especially now with a mundane family vehicle costing $80k but is still worth $30k in 7 years is not something I can stomach and I’m not sure how much money people are making a year that can stomach that. I prefer to buy a little older used cars and so I can get something like an Escalade for new base model Tahoe money.

I currently have a 2008 and 2013 Escalade and will be sticking with them for as long as I can. I do not like the T1 trucks at all and the K2 trucks ride so damn bad (and you CAN quote me on that), that I don’t think I could get passed that. I love the 18-20 Yukon Denali but they’re so rough. The 900 body style is where I’m happy for now. They’re the perfect blend of new enough not to look or feel archaic but not cost $80k+ but, due to the age, at this point need some restoration to be that good, which most people won’t do or use cheap parts and don’t get the result. I replaced the entire suspension on both with all new GM parts and put Michelins in them and they’re good to go. Sure, your T1 rides a little better but it isn’t $60k better (or $100k better if we’re comparing to a 23 Escalade).

In the interest of answering your question, if money and cost of ownership didn’t matter, I would probably look at a Navigator, BMW X7, or Mercedes GLS if it were replacing the family car. If replacing mine, a Porsche Macan GTS. I love the E63 AMG for a non-SUV. Twin turbo engines are on my no-go for out-of-warranty ownership though. I really tried to buy a 14-16 E63 6 months ago and couldn’t do it.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re going to be disappointed because there really isn’t anything new I’m dying to buy. I think quality across all brands is crap now because all the manufactures realized people will pay over sticker price to get new cars, even though the quality isn’t as good and even if if features have been removed. I think everything is unnecessarily complicated now and pretty high risk to own outside of warranty. All these gimmicky features that are nice, sure, but far from necessary. All these modules that are one-time burn to cut out buying used parts and GM discontinuing everything on 5 year old vehicles is disgusting business practice. I’ve always loved GM products despite the lower quality but the way GM does not support the vehicles they sell for very long any more is a huge turn off and likely the reason I consider other brands.

I’m not a new car buyer, if you can’t tell. I don’t see the value in it and I never have. The depreciation lost in the first 3 years of ownership is insane. Especially now with a mundane family vehicle costing $80k but is still worth $30k in 7 years is not something I can stomach and I’m not sure how much money people are making a year that can stomach that. I prefer to buy a little older used cars and so I can get something like an Escalade for new base model Tahoe money.

I currently have a 2008 and 2013 Escalade and will be sticking with them for as long as I can. I do not like the T1 trucks at all and the K2 trucks ride so damn bad (and you CAN quote me on that), that I don’t think I could get passed that. I love the 18-20 Yukon Denali but they’re so rough. The 900 body style is where I’m happy for now. They’re the perfect blend of new enough not to look or feel archaic but not cost $80k+ but, due to the age, at this point need some restoration to be that good, which most people won’t do or use cheap parts and don’t get the result. I replaced the entire suspension on both with all new GM parts and put Michelins in them and they’re good to go. Sure, your T1 rides a little better but it isn’t $60k better (or $100k better if we’re comparing to a 23 Escalade).

In the interest of answering your question, if money and cost of ownership didn’t matter, I would probably look at a Navigator, BMW X7, or Mercedes GLS if it were replacing the family car. If replacing mine, a Porsche Macan GTS. I love the E63 AMG for a non-SUV. Twin turbo engines are on my no-go for out-of-warranty ownership though. I really tried to buy a 14-16 E63 6 months ago and couldn’t do it.
Wow, Interesting lol. Thanks for the reply. We can agree to disagree.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
The lm2 is extremely reliable. The 21+ interiors do not creak at all.
I’m asking more than stating, but did the GMT900 series dashes start cracking within the first 3 years?

My 2010 was already cracked when I got it in 2018, but my 2009 was still good in 2019.

And my 2002 went to the salvage yard with all of its interior plastics intact and no leaks in the exterior lighting that I’ve seen in newer trucks (and I had aftermarket holes in the exterior lights for strobes that still never leaked).

21highcountry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t know how you can say that. The materials feel super cheap, every trim piece creaks and moves when you press on it, the suspension is still crashy in rough roads, the lifters don’t last 5k miles, the 6.2L are spinning bearings left and right, oil leaks like crazy, evaporator cores, and so much more.
I mean I’ve got a 21 Tahoe high country with the 6.2, it’s got 61k on it and not one issue, the only thing that worries me is the weird shift points on the 10 speed tranny that’s in it, so far 6.2 is rock solid

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m asking more than stating, but did the GMT900 series dashes start cracking within the first 3 years?

My 2010 was already cracked when I got it in 2018, but my 2009 was still good in 2019.

And my 2002 went to the salvage yard with all of its interior plastics intact and no leaks in the exterior lighting that I’ve seen in newer trucks (and I had aftermarket holes in the exterior lights for strobes that still never leaked).
Some did. Some didn't. Same with the gt800 you had. I will say the gmt800 had way more cracked interior plastics then the 900. The 900 had a slightly softer plastic that would help with cracking. Most of the 800s also had the foggy lights due to water intrusion. And the exterior door handles would fall off all the time.

So your 2002 was above average in those cases.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
Some did. Some didn't. Same with the gt800 you had. I will say the gmt800 had way more cracked interior plastics then the 900. The 900 had a slightly softer plastic that would help with cracking. Most of the 800s also had the foggy lights due to water intrusion. And the exterior door handles would fall off all the time.

So your 2002 was above average in those cases.
Wow. My 02 dash (and whole truck) went away at 18 years with an intact dash and no leaks in the headlights. Saw many 900s with fogged headlights & taillights though mine have been free of that (except for an aftermarket set).

wombat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drove from Florida to Texas this weekend. I have a 23 Tahoe with 6.2 liter and Corsa exhaust. Tahoe has 3500 miles. I did not drive in Sport mode like I normally do but I turned off the Auto Stop. Below are the mpg results. (Used the DIC readings)

Full trip - mostly hiway at speed of 75-80 mph
Miles driven - 770 miles
Avg speed - 68.0 miles/hr
Avg mpg - 20.7 miles/gal

Last tank of gas - mostly hiway at 75-80 mph but 100 miles at 65-70 mph due to rain
Miles driven - 407 miles
Avg speed - 66.1 miles/hr
Avg mpg - 21.3 mpg

I have pictures if you want verification.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel efficiency of this rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo