Which to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckfutter

Reaction score
Buying a new family wagon. Wife does not like the 2021+ if it was up to me I’d find a 2006 z71 tahoe with low miles and run it forever! But she deserves all the creature comforts and something newer and nice. So far we’ve settled on these:

2018-2020 Yukon SLT, Denali, Tahoe LT, or Premier (RSV is way too rare and expensive) - all 4x4. Although I don’t really see a difference between the Premier and LT tahoes ??

Not sure about the 2015-2017 models for the non-Denali trim- any thoughts? I know denali got the 10 speed in 2018 so if we went Denali it would have to be a 2018-2020

Is there a significant difference in the seat of the pants dyno between the 6.2 with the 3.08 vs 3.42 gears? With that size of a motor I wouldn’t imagine so - any feedback from people that have driven both? 5.3 with the 3.42 seems like the way to go. Is there a way to tell which vehicles have the 3.42 gears by just looking at them? Trailer braking and 2 speed t-case?

Trying to get a better idea of what I’m looking at - and ultimately searching for the perfect ride that will last our family for many years to come.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is 3.23s and needs premium gas. LT with luxury is pretty close to Premier but has no magnaride although lots get rid of it - check lifted sub. Ive had many 2 speed t cases and used low a handful of times - if you pull stumps or rock crawl it can be useful, but for most situations it isn't needed, but it does come with 3.42s. Z-71 should all have 3.42.

shock

Reaction score
6.2 is not available on LT.

Premiere has magnetic ride and larger wheels. Obviously the LT can have larger wheels but not by default.

Z71 or Max Trailer gets you the 3.42 and 4Low with the 5.3. They also both change the suspension over an LT without those packages.

The Bose system in the Premier is better than the LT Bose (one more speaker?).

The LT Luxury Package adds some of the interior functions of the Premier. It is a standalone package that can be combined with Z71 and (I think) Max trailer.

Z71 and Max Trailer can’t be combined—its one or the other.

I’m not as familiar with the GMC options so can’t speak to LT vs SLT nor Premier vs Denali.

What I don’t like about Premier is price, obviously, and the magnetic ride and larger wheels. While the magnetic ride is smoother, I felt like I was less in touch with the road, and it’s something else to break/repair. I don’t care for the look of low profile tires on a truck so prefer the 18 inch wheels.

What I miss in my LT Z71 wo/Luxury Package that I could have had with Premier is cooled seats and the upgraded version of Bose.

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
Excellent feed back, thank you all. I guess it comes down to test driving the 5.3 and 6.2 with both gear ratios.

The only vehicles that the 3.42 come with are the 2 speed transfer cases and trailer brake controls correct?

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
Got it. Right now it looks like the 5.3 with the tow package or the 6.2 without the tow package is the way to go. I’d like to squeeze as much mpg out of the denali as possible, but keep the 5.3 more zippy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter