5 year old oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I got the "check eng oil lvl" light. No big deal I get it a lot when I get close to having to change my oil. I usually just have an extra qt. In the truck but this time I don't. I went into the garage and found some 10w30 my dad uses. I've topped it off with this before. But it's 5 years old. I've looked it up and everywhere it says it's good up to 5 years. What should I do. Ok to use it till i change my oil in 1k miles. It's a big 5qt. Bottle and it was still sealed and unopened

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how one "stale" quart of oil mixed in with 5 normal (and used/dirty at that) quarts is gonna make a lick of difference other than get the level back up.
Luckily I didn't have to find out, while I was figuring out what to do one of my friends stopped by just to say hi and he gave me a ride down to advance auto to buy a quart. Thank you for the reply tho

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily I didn't have to find out, while I was figuring out what to do one of my friends stopped by just to say hi and he gave me a ride down to advance auto to buy a quart. Thank you for the reply tho

I think it would've been just fine. Since there's 5 quarts of it, I'd use it with a quart of a MMO or some other cleaner to do a motor flush.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you keep losing oil between oil changes? That's the real question that you should be concerned with. Do you have a leak, or are you burning that much oil?
I was using a LOT of oil and I couldn't figure it out since I didn't have any leaks. I searched several Chevy truck forum sites and I saw that it was a fairly common issue on 99-03 Chevy trucks because of the PCV valve. They redesigned the PCV valve in 04 to a "fixed orifice" style instead of the style with the little valve that rattles. I picked up one at the dealer for $7.00 (since no parts stores around me had anything but the rattle style). That alone solved my oil burning issue. I went from having to add a 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 3,000 miles to being g able to go a full 7500 miles on synthetic oil without losing ANY oil. Still full after 7-8 months and 7500 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia