5 different mechanics, $4,000 in parts, still no answer..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlp78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does it make the sound if you turn off the environmental controls?

I heard a similar noise that only happened while accelerating (and not every time) on a 2005 GMC Yukon I was interested in purchasing. Had the salesman listen while I drove it and he could hear it, too. They took it into their shop and replaced a blower motor in the HVAC system. The sound went away.

Yes, we bought the vehicle. Still have not heard it return.

pistnbroke88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A lot of guys seem to think its the ring and pinion. Its possible it was installed and shimmed incorrectly however, I'm curious and perhaps you can help me here so it ONLY makes this noise while in gear and moving NOT while in park and creeping through the rpm's
also, have you noticed does the "whirring noise" Increase while at speed and changing from left lane or right lane?

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my 2004. i hear a weird noise coming from my rear end whenever im doing about 40+. faster I go the louder it gets but it's only when I'm in gear never when I'm in neutral

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe find a shop with a dyno and throw it on for a couple runs, usually 2-3 for 100 bux, would atleast confirm or eliminate driveline noise

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this be of any help. I have a 2007 escalade AWD. I had the same issue as you describe. I had done the u joints to no success. Until finally the transfer case went, wasn’t expecting for the noise to be gone but voila! Took it on the highway and guess what she was sound as new. Might wanna check that transfer case out if you have 4x4.
The original poster already said his truck is a 2WD truck so he wouldnt have a transfer case.

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its been mentioned but i had similar noise in other vehicles:
1. driveshaft
2. tires were old and cupped. even though they didnt look that worn. very noisy at highway speeds when coasting.

Eismann95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do we have any update on this? I just had my front shafts replaced, both CV joints were gone. Noise is still there. I'm still on the fence that it's a ring and pinion because it will fade when you lift off the accelerator. I'm still thinking this is an air moving through the plenum sound but I've been wrong before.

OP
OP
C

Carey251

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, no update so far. Sound has not gotten better or worse. It is strange, because I drive the same route to work every day. Some days the noise never takes place, some days it is really bad. I had my ring and pinion replaced, my pinion was worn down pretty good, but my ring didn't have any gouges or signs of wear. It is possible the shop that swapped the ring/pinion down didn't install it perfect and this is accounting for the noise still being there.

It honestly really sounds as if the noise is coming from the front driver side portion of the vehicle, but it is hard to say. I have had the whole rear end pretty much rebuilt. The only thing I have not swapped out would be the spider gears and U joints. Just like you, my noise only occurs over about 55+ MPH, while on the accelerator, made worse by going uphill, and goes away almost the second the I let off.

My next step is to pay the dealer $140 to put the Chassis Ears on the Tahoe to pinpoint the exact location of the noise. I am tired of having mechanics tell me they are certain what the issue is and then throw money at the problem and it is not corrected.

So far I have replaced both rear wheel bearings, had the tranny rebuilt, replaced the ring/pinion, and unrelated, I had to replace the brake position sensor, fuel pressure sensor, and throttle position sensor.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound you're describing seems like a worn rear end. Had these exact same symptoms in a 98 Dodge Ram van I had (2WD 3500). One day driving on the highway the rearend started smoking then seized up. I knew it was coming because I knew the rear gear was chewed up just thought I had a little more time. Replaced the entire rear axle and everything was good as new back that no more whirring sound.

Eismann95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, no update so far. Sound has not gotten better or worse. It is strange, because I drive the same route to work every day. Some days the noise never takes place, some days it is really bad. I had my ring and pinion replaced, my pinion was worn down pretty good, but my ring didn't have any gouges or signs of wear. It is possible the shop that swapped the ring/pinion down didn't install it perfect and this is accounting for the noise still being there.

It honestly really sounds as if the noise is coming from the front driver side portion of the vehicle, but it is hard to say. I have had the whole rear end pretty much rebuilt. The only thing I have not swapped out would be the spider gears and U joints. Just like you, my noise only occurs over about 55+ MPH, while on the accelerator, made worse by going uphill, and goes away almost the second the I let off.

My next step is to pay the dealer $140 to put the Chassis Ears on the Tahoe to pinpoint the exact location of the noise. I am tired of having mechanics tell me they are certain what the issue is and then throw money at the problem and it is not corrected.

So far I have replaced both rear wheel bearings, had the tranny rebuilt, replaced the ring/pinion, and unrelated, I had to replace the brake position sensor, fuel pressure sensor, and throttle position sensor.

Thanks for the update. Let us know what the Ears show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019