5.3 vs 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha nice :) i really like the early style tahoes though without that cylinder deactivation hoopla. Just would be bice to have the extra gears though

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah i had the same idea about going to a 6 speed auto.. but had same thoughts. Probably near impossible to update controller and dash :/

A buddy in KS swapped a 6L80E into his '07 Silverado. It's 100% functional except he doesn't have the Tapshift or the appropriate gauge cluster. IIRC, it was almost a bolt-in (with the 6L80E factory crossmember) and I think he just had to add a few wires to his stock harness. Well, of course he tuned it accordingly as well. I read years ago of a guy local to me that did the swap in his NNBS Sierra and I THINK he had the Tapshift shifter and cluster in and working, but I can't say for sure.

Not really, just have to buy the rest of the vehicle too. ;)

That'd certainly be the easiest way and I've considered it!

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had woundered if you could use the existing dash but just not have manual control of all gears.

Someday... someday... lol I may upgrade.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had woundered if you could use the existing dash but just not have manual control of all gears.

Someday... someday... lol I may upgrade.

You can. I don't know how the shifter would work without Tapshift buttons and with it having two extra detents, though. I'd think that if you dropped it down to the detent just under "D", it would put it in manual mode (but show "3" on the cluster) but you wouldn't be able to shift it since not having the buttons. Or maybe it works the same as the 4L60 and just puts the 6L80 in third, second or first gear.

This is why I think swapping in a T-56 and a cluster from a NNBS truck with a manual trans would be easier. More fun, too. :driver:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia