5.3 V8 valve spring issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5.3... the dealership was kind of vague. They said that a lifter failed but the paperwork referred to the valve spring issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3... the dealership was kind of vague. They said that a lifter failed but the paperwork referred to the valve spring issue.

That blows. Do you know what your build date was for your Tahoe and engine?

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the build date was 11/20. It's a Yukon if that makes any difference.

We did get a free oil change out of the deal so that was kind of nice

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
Did any of you guys experience an intermittent knock at cold start-up with your valve issue? We've got that going on now with my wife's Escalade. Man...we have been through the ringer with that car in the first 3 months. My Yukon AT4 has been bomb proof, but we can't keep the Escalade out of the shop.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the build date was 11/20. It's a Yukon if that makes any difference.

We did get a free oil change out of the deal so that was kind of nice

Unless GM replaced all 16 of your valve springs i would demand an extended warranty. GM knows there is a bad batch of valve springs out there and since you already got one of them out of the bin there is a high chance you have more in your engine. depending on the amount of my lemon law settlement I will be replacing all 16 springs with high performance aftermarket springs if we decide to keep our current 2021 Tahoe.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya pretty great of GM huh? Lets open up someones brand new 5.3 engine and only replace one spring all the while knowing the remaining fifteen are possibly bad and a ticking time bomb like spring number one that failed. I am looking forward to noon on March 11th. Jeep is introducing the 2022 production Jeep Wagoneer. I'll take my 70k budget to replace our Honda Pilot to another company. GMs actions during this valve spring and lifter issue is all I need to know to stay away from them until they get their shit together again :( Toyota is also redesigning the Sequoia for 2022. That will also be on my short list :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE