5.3 Style Y-Pipe on a 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am learning a lot today about exhausts. Has anybody switched from a dual-pipe 6.0 exhaust to a 5.3 Y - pipe style exhaust?

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I have a bad cat. The exhaust system on my truck is a 2 into one muffler style. One of the cats is part of the muffler, and that is the bad one. I cannot find a replacement for this muffler/cat combo anywhere, so I was considering just swapping out the whole system to the 5.3 style exhaust. Other options are to try and just replace 1 cat (cut and weld in), or gut the cats and tune for it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, I think I have a bad cat. The exhaust system on my truck is a 2 into one muffler style. One of the cats is part of the muffler, and that is the bad one. I cannot find a replacement for this muffler/cat combo anywhere, so I was considering just swapping out the whole system to the 5.3 style exhaust. Other options are to try and just replace 1 cat (cut and weld in), or gut the cats and tune for it.
If it was me I'd just replace the bad cat--cut and replace.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I am working with. Its a California 4 cat set-up. I will be taking it in for an estimate on two hi flow cats and maybe the muffler.
8100plugs.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rockauto might have what your after. the image you linked shows the right side cat all the way back by the muffler. the right side rockauto lists is farther forward. the walker brand right side specifically states carb compliance when i pull it up.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of options - as far as upgrades or replacements for the single inlet style. There are hardly any for the dual inlet style. I thought it might be more common since (I believe) all the 6.0s have the dual inlet style.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket cats are known to not be sufficient or long-lived and OEM cats are super pricey. If it were me, I'd have the cats replaced with straight pipe and a custom tune that includes deleting out the rear O2s. You'd still be hundreds ahead and a failed cat will never be an issue. You can have fake cats welded in if you have to pass a visual inspection.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket cats are known to not be sufficient or long-lived and OEM cats are super pricey. If it were me, I'd have the cats replaced with straight pipe and a custom tune that includes deleting out the rear O2s. You'd still be hundreds ahead and a failed cat will never be an issue. You can have fake cats welded in if you have to pass a visual inspection.
seemed like he might be in ca i think they are pretty picky out there

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the truck in Florida, but previous owner had it shipped from CA.

However, I took it to a muffler shop just to see what they might suggest, and the manager seemed to think it wasn't an issue if there were no codes. So much so that he really didnt even want to quote me (I respect that he wasnt trying to take my money), but eventually he said Magna-pro hi flow cats would be 240 each.