5.3 Gen 4 flex fuel afm dod delete need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enzo354

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a 4l and not the 6l80 and a 5.3, I would suggest a stock replacement cam and not any of the stage cams if you want to keep making decent torque to tow with now and then.

OP
OP
D

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sincerely appreciate the in depth answer. I’m assuming the transmission has to be removed for this? To be honest valve body work is all I’ve done. I’ve never really taken an automatic transmission apart before. As far as motor work I can do whatever, I just don’t know what the best bang for my buck is ya know? I’m getting rid of the AFM, I have to, i won’t replace it, exhaust lifter jammed up causing nasty, hesitation, popping, there’s no VVT. What’s your opinion on AFM delete kits, Texas speed, BTR? I’m looking for the most complete kit for the best price buying this stuff piece by piece is difficult. I don’t want to go through all this just to put stock stuff back in. I’ll handle the transmission with your suggestion, I read a lot about that kit. I’m looking for a dependable powerful daily driver not a loud monster truck. I just want to put it together and not have to constantly be messing around with it. Does that make sense? Thank you
What gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing you are also going to get a tune for the AFM/DOD delete? Tune for the cam over the base tune will also be required.

I'm just learning about camshaft selection, but it seems like a common mistake is a lot of guys tend to "over-cam" if there's such a term. I would say before purchasing, call the camshaft company that sells them and give them your specs and needs/wants. Just be mindful that come companies are just trying to push and sell their specific products.
I think
What gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing you are also going to get a tune for the AFM/DOD delete? Tune for the cam over the base tune will also be required.

I'm just learning about camshaft selection, but it seems like a common mistake is a lot of guys tend to "over-cam" if there's such a term. I would say before purchasing, call the camshaft company that sells them and give them your specs and needs/wants. Just be mindful that come companies are just trying to push and sell their specific products.
3:73s (4WD)

OP
OP
D

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a 4l and not the 6l80 and a 5.3, I would suggest a stock replacement cam and not any of the stage cams if you want to keep making decent torque to tow with now and then.
I can’t use the stock camshaft, I’m deleting the AFM, so at least 8 lifters need to be replaced and with that the camshaft.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t use the stock camshaft, I’m deleting the AFM, so at least 8 lifters need to be replaced and with that the camshaft.

I'm sure he meant a GM factory cam that would be a non-AFM alternative to your stock AFM cam. There are a couple factory cams that are really close and should run "fine" on the stock tune, but could use a slight amount of tweaking to be optimal. Custom tuning is expensive and those cams aren't "off" enough to make a custom tune an absolute necessity. A direct drop-in replacement for your LMG that would require no tuning would be the L33 cam (#12689035) from the Gen 3 engines. As with most aftermarket cams, and since it's a Gen 3 cam, you would just need the $20 three-bolt cam gear with the 4x reluctor (#12586481) to run it in your Gen 4 engine.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Cam Motion "Stage 2 Truck Cam" in my 2012 XL Denali and I'm really happy with it. I tow a 7500 lb camper a dozen or more times a year, and it makes great power down low and up high. They make a grind that's specific to the 5.3 as well, which is important because most of the cams out there from BTR and TSP are "compatible" with the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 but not optimized for any of them. Cam Motion makes each grind honoring the flow characteristics of each engine.

The cam comes in 2 versions - high lift and low lift, but the high lift is still only .553 so you can use the BTR beehive springs that are good for .560, no problem, which is what I did. Over 20K on this setup now and it's a beast. My priorities were durability and towing performance, so similar to yours. Here's my thread on it if you're interested:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar